Alumni, undergraduate, and graduate entrepreneurs compete for more than $100,000 in cash and services in kind at the finals this Thursday, April 11.
Nine entrepreneur finalists have been selected to compete in Babson’s 2013 Entrepreneurial Thought And Action ® (B.E.T.A.) Challenge, taking place Thursday, April 11. Register to attend.
• House Bear Brewing - House Bear Brewing, a winery, crafts the nectar of bees into an exceptional mead. Elizabeth C. Borges M’10 & Carl Hirschfeld
• MandaSeguro - MandaSeguro redefines the remittances business model by enabling the aid sent by Hispanics in the U.S. to their home countries, at no cost to sender or receiver, in a safe, reliable, and innovative way. Matias Sevi ’12, Alexis Garberis, Lucía Moroni & Ariel Sevi
• Ovatemp, LLC – Ovatemp provides a mobile fertility monitor for natural pregnancy achievement. Daniel Graf M’12
• 88 Acres - 88 Acres is a healthy snack food company that manufactures delicious, simple granola bars in a dedicated allergen free facility. Robert Dalton M’14 & Nicole Ledoux
• AfterDark Technologies - AfterDark Technologies is creating an immersive nighttime experience for team sports, including Ultimate Frisbee and Flag Football. Daniel Wilson M’13
• Parlor Skis - Parlor handcrafts skis for New England Skiers, customizing each ski to elevate the customer’s on-snow experience. Mark Wallace M’14
• College Outside - College Outside is a community-based online media company that brings outing clubs across the country together while connecting outdoor brands to these outdoor oriented students. Joshua Bennett ’14 & Sarah Lockwood
• Moratic – Moratic is company set up to import, distribute, market, design, and contract out production abroad for Moratic branded Dokha tobacco (our flagship product), handmade designer pipes, and electronic hookahs of the highest quality at a low and affordable price. Tushar Parbhu ’14 & Rohit Makhija
• OrangeOctop.us - OrangeOctop.us is a premier strategy guideprovider. Joseph Roth ‘14
Winners in three categories ─ alumni entrepreneurs, undergraduate, and graduate student entrepreneurs ─ will each win a grand prize of $20,000 in cash and “services in kind” donations from corporate sponsors. In addition, $2,500 will be awarded to the two other finalist ventures in each of the three competitions.
The B.E.T.A. Challenge is Babson’s ‘alternative’ business plan competition where entrepreneurs must demonstrate success in reaching major milestones achieved through action. It builds on Babson’s branded teaching method—Entrepreneurial Thought & Action or ETA®—and on the idea that entrepreneurs are made, not born. B.E.T.A. challenges entrepreneurs to lead at all stages, levels and types of organizations, and to bring a range of skills to bear on Entrepreneurship of All Kinds.
Pepper Hamilton LLP is a multi-practice law firm with more than 500 lawyers nationally. The firm provides corporate, litigation and regulatory legal services to leading businesses, governmental entities, nonprofit organizations and individuals throughout the nation and the world.
Babson Alumni and Friends Network
Babson has a worldwide alumni, parents, and friends network of more than 35,000 graduates. This expansive network spans all 50 states, Washington DC, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands and is found in over 100 countries around the world.
The Babson Alumni Association (BAA) works to ensure that there are opportunities for all alumni to feel connected to Babson. The BAA is committed to supporting the mission of the College by enhancing the incredible network of 35,000 alumni around the world. With each graduating class, the network becomes brighter, more diverse, and increasingly successful, thus providing a truly valuable resource to each other.
Emerging Business Collaborative
Gray, Gray and Gray LLP
Babson College is the educator, convener, and thought leader for Entrepreneurship of All Kinds®. The College is a dynamic living and learning laboratory, where students, faculty, and staff work together to address the real-world problems of business and society -- while at the same time evolving our methods and advancing our programs. We shape the leaders our world needs most: those with strong functional knowledge and the skills and vision to navigate change, accommodate ambiguity, surmount complexity, and motivate teams in a common purpose to create economic and social value. As we have for nearly a half-century, Babson continues to advance Entrepreneurial Thought and Action® as the most positive force on the planet for generating sustainable economic and social value. For information, visit www.babson.edu.