Seventy-seven Babson College startups are competing to win more than $30,000 in Startup Rounds, a new kind of business competition launched by The Babson Entrepreneurship Club (BEC).
Startup Rounds is open to any company founded by Babson undergraduates, graduate students or alumni with less than $1 million in earned revenues.
BEC Co-President Paul Hammond sees Startup Rounds as a fun way to showcase the depth and breadth of Babson’s entrepreneurial enterprises, while offering startup founders the opportunity to:
- Gain exposure
- Establish credibility
- Prove a concept
- Refine a pitch
- Find customers
- Raise a seed round
“This is a great way for Babson startups to show off their stuff and gain traction,” said Hammond.
- The contest consists of four 7-day rounds.
- Within each round, startups must demonstrate the strengths of their business idea and network by gaining support via social media to improve their standing on the leaderboard. Anybody with a Facebook account can vote for up to three startups per round.
- After each round, a startup’s score resets along with their position on the leaderboard.
- Each round will have a cutline. For example, if there are 50 startups, 10 will be eliminated in each round.
- The top 10 startups will be invited to pitch to an expert judge panel followed by an awards ceremony on Feb. 27, 2014 at The Microsoft New England Research & Development (NERD) Center.
- Over $30,000 in prizes will be awarded, including $20,000 in cash and $10,000 in legal resources (Pepper Hamilton and Pierce Atwood); real-estate consultation (VP of Colliers International, Boston); BostInno press and MassChallenge opportunities; and meetings with Rough Draft Ventures, offering the opportunity to raise up to $25,000.
||House Bear Brewing
|Con-necta Social Community
||Sol Power LLC|
||India in a Box
||Joe Cut By Joe Grooming
||The Chicken and Rice Guys|
||Legacy Software, Ltd.
||Lis’n Up Clothing
||Lucky Shoe Magnets
||Triangle Coffee Co.|
|FedWell Pet Foods
|Game Day: Skincare for Active Men
|Go Profile Green
||WineKick: the wine sidekick|
||PayPay Africa Inc.
||Zoos Greek Iced Teas|
About Babson College
Babson College is the educator, convener, and thought leader for Entrepreneurship of All Kinds™. The College is a dynamic living and learning laboratory, where students, faculty, and staff work together to address the real-world problems of business and society -- while at the same time evolving our methods and advancing our programs. We shape the leaders our world needs most: those with strong functional knowledge and the skills and vision to navigate change, accommodate ambiguity, surmount complexity, and motivate teams in a common purpose to create economic and social value. As we have for nearly a half-century, Babson continues to advance Entrepreneurial Thought and Action® as the most positive force on the planet for generating sustainable economic and social value.
By Barbara Spies Blair, email@example.com
, 781-239-4621 |
2/3/2014 12:00 AM