Page Content 1From InsTitute to College 1945 Babson Institute reopens on October 1st with 76 students. The Poor's Printing Building is purchased and renamed for Babson associate and accounting teacher Dwight G. W. Hollister. 1946 On July 1st, Edward Barnard Hinckley becomes the fourth President of Babson Institute. The Class of 1949 enters Babson Institute to find that the personal secretaries, maid service, and the time clock, all fixtures of pre-war Babson, had disappeared. Roger W. Babson founds his third school called Utopia College in Eureka, Kansas. The 1946 Babsonian. 1947 The first bachelor degree (B.S.B.A.) is awarded at the June Commencement. The first Founder's Day is celebrated on November 14th. The 1500 pound, 42 inch diameter Hotchkin Bell is hung in the Babson Institute Library (now Tomasso Hall.) In May, the Cup 'n Saucer opens in Park Manor. Volume 1, #1 of the Babson News begins the post-WWII student press. It is renamed “Babson Beaver” by its third issue. The 1947 Babsonian. 1948 The first class to enter Babson in the new three-year undergraduate program receives its Bachelors of Science in Business Administration degrees. Songs of the Babson Institute is published. President Hinckley begins his column “Our Mutual Enterprise” in the October 8th issue of the Babson Beaver. The 1948 Babsonian. 1949 The John E. Millea Swimming Pool in Peavey Hall is dedicated on November 10th. The Student Christian Hour has its first meeting on November 11th. The 1949 Babsonian. 1950 The B.S.B.A. is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools effective December 1st. George W. Coleman, Babson's second president, dies on July 31st. The 1950 Babsonian. 1951 The new Park Manor North residence hall opens in the fall. The first class of 25 enters the newly formed two-year MBA. The 1951 Babsonian. 1952 The Institute purchases buildings and grounds from the Channing Sanitarium - now known as Woodland Hill and chiefly graduate student housing - with the intent of locating the new graduate program on the site. Babson Institute is elected to membership in the New England Conference on Athletics, officially beginning its intercollegiate sports programs. The 1952 Babsonian. 1953 A Newton Apple Tree is purchased from the Pennsylvania Historical Commission and is prepared for planting on the Babson Institute grounds. Ground is broken for the Babson World Globe on May 30th. The first MBAs (six in all) are awarded at the June Commencement. The 1953 Babsonian. 1954 Wilson F. Payne becomes the first Dean of the Graduate School. Husband and wife team of Kal Kubinyi and Doris Hall are engaged to create the paneled "skin" of the Babson World Globe. The 1954 Babsonian. 1955 Roger W. Babson resigns as Chairman of the Corporation. Babson Institute holds its first Honors Day on May 19th. The Babson World Globe is dedicated on June 18th. The Board of Trustees vote to change the name of the Babson Institute Library to the Sir Isaac Newton Library. Hall of Flags is dedicated in the Sir Isaac Newton Library on April 19th. The Babson Chair is offered for the first time. The 1955 Babsonian. 1956 Babson's original diploma and program, the one-year Certificate in Business Administration, is no longer offered. Grace Knight Babson, Roger's wife, business partner, and force behind acquisition of the Newton Collection, dies on April 30th. Edward Hinckley resigns as President. The 1956 Babsonian. 1957 Gordon Mariner Trim is elected Babson's 5th President on March 4th. The Babson Dramatic Club performs Good News on Mar 2nd. On June 1st, Roger Babson marries long-time associate, Nona Dougherty. The last issue of the Babson Beaver is published on October 24th. The student newspaper reemerges as the Babson Globe News on October 31st. It published until 1961. The 1957 Babsonian. 1958 Nathaniel Wright II becomes the first African-American to receive a degree at Babson Institute. Liberians John R. H. Bright and Lafayette K. Morgan become the first Africans to graduate from Babson, earning their B.S.B.A.s in March. The 1958 Babsonian. 1959 The Babson Institute Theatre Guild performs The Boy Friend on February 21st. The Boston Celtics begin use of Peavey Gym for pre-season workouts, which continues for several years. The Children's Convalescent Hospital is purchased and eventually becomes Forest Hall. Earliest known photograph of the Babson Beaver as mascot appears in this year's Babsonian. The 1959 Babsonian. 1960 The last class required to take Industry Analysis. (Only those who were required to take this course really know what this meant.) The 1960 Babsonian. 1961 President Gordon Trim dies suddenly on May 5th. Henry August Kriebel, Dean of Faculty and Professor of Accounting, becomes Babson's 6th President on June 5th. The Exec (later Executive) begins publication. The Evening (aka Part-time) MBA program begins in September with an enrollment of 60. It is directed by Economics Professor Frank Genovese. The program is co-ed from the beginning with several women enrolled but no woman completes an MBA until Carolyn Levosky in 1969. The prospect of tenure is made available to Babson faculty for the first time. The 1961 Babsonian. 1962 The new student newspaper, The Exec, completes it first year of publication. Henry Kriebel is inaugurated on February 9th. The 1962 Babsonian. 1963 Roger Babson's second wife, Nona, dies on July 13th. Ground breaking for the Trim Dining Hall occurs on October 3rd. Latin motto “Navis Commericii Institum Babsonis 1919” is seen from October 30th. The 1963 Babsonian. 1964 Trim Dining Hall opens on September 7th. First Evening MBA graduation in June. The 1964 Babsonian 1965 Babson Institute offers a $1,000 scholarship for any son of any member of the U.S.S. Thresher (SSN 593). The Thresher went down during a deep dive in the North Atlantic, April 9, 1963. The Division of Distribution becomes the Marketing Division on April 30th. 1966 Brian Miller Barefoot, former Chairman of the Babson College Board of Trustees (1996—2001), and the 11th President of Babson College (2001--2008), receives his B.S.B.A. 1967 Roger Ward Babson, founder of Babson College, dies on March 5th at the age of 91. Last sighting of the Latin motto on April 19th.