F-1: Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work authorization granted to students in F-1 status for work that is an "integral part of an established curriculum".  CPT enable students to apply and practice the knowledge and skills gained in their academic program.

CPT is granted by the Glavin Office in accordance with U.S. immigration law. Authorization of CPT involves both an academic component and an immigration component.

Academic Eligibility

Internships must be approved by the appropriate Babson department, and you must be registered for the particular academic course that supports the internship. For undergraduates, the course in which you will enroll is the Career Exploration Lab (CEL); for graduate students, it is the Global Management Program (GMP).

Immigration Eligibility

    • You must currently be maintaining valid F-1 status and must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year before applying for CPT.
    • CPT is authorization is date and employer specific. If you anticipate changes to your internship, (ex: different dates, different employer, etc.) you must first obtain authorization from the Glavin Office.
    • There is no limit on the amount of time you can be authorized for CPT. However, if you use 12 months or more of full-time CPT you will lose your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT).