Travel Within the U.S.

While traveling within the U.S., F-1/J-1students and scholars are advised to always carry their original immigration documents: passport (valid six months into the future); Form I-94 arrival/departure record; Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1).

These documents may be required for a flight, but could also be requested when traveling via train, bus or car. For more information about the documentation required for air travel, consult the guidelines of the Transportation Security Administration.

If you choose not to carry your original immigration documents when in the Boston area, you are strongly advised to carry a copy of your I-94 card, a copy of your I-20 Form, a copy of your passport page with your biographic information and photo with you at all times.

While it is extremely unlikely you would be questioned, having these documents with you provides immediate proof of your lawful status in the U.S. The Glavin Office can verify this information by phone should that ever be necessary.