Requesting J-1 Visiting Scholar Status
International scholars may be invited by Babson College to engage in temporary academic activities such as research and teaching at Babson College in J-1 Exchange Visitor status for up to five years.
In order to host an international visiting scholar in J-1 immigration status, the Babson host department must ensure that the scholar has:
- English language proficiency, academic credentials (at least a bachelor's degree), and relevant professional experience to conduct the activities for which s/he has been invited
- Adequate financial resources to support her/himself for the duration of the appointment
- Health insurance coverage which satisfies the U.S. Department of State mandate
The Glavin Office will issue Form DS-2019 and assist the scholar with all visa and immigration-related issues.
Process for a Visiting Scholar to join Babson in J-1 Status
1. Babson Host Department
Contact the Dean of the Faculty's Office (DOF) for approval and to initiate pre-screening requirements BEFORE issuing an invitation letter.
Department emails DOF a completed Affiliate Form and the scholar's CV.
Once pre-screening requirements (CORI checks) have cleared (approximately 10 days), DOF will notify the department that an invitation letter can be issued.
Within 24-48 hours, the department will receive the scholars log-in credentials via email; these must be forwarded to the scholar to activate their Babson account and email address.
Provide the Glavin Office with a J-1 Visiting Scholar invitation letter (pdf) including the following:
Specific program start and end date (start date cannot be altered once Form DS-2019 is issued)
Description of the scholar's primary activities (i.e. teaching, research, observation)
Exact compensation in U.S. dollars which will be provided to the scholar. If no compensation will be provided, this should be clearly stated. Note: the scholar must demonstrate $2000 per month.
Submit Department Request for a J-1 Visiting Scholar »
2. Glavin Office
- Within two business days of receiving approval from both the host department chair and Dean of Faculty, the Glavin Office will email the visiting scholar instructions to request a Form DS-2019 from Babson.
3. Visiting Scholar
4. Glavin Office
5. Visiting Scholar
Use Form DS-2019 to pay the SEVIS fee and schedule a J-1 visa interview
Obtain mandatory health insurance coverage.
After receipt of a J-1 entry visa, travel to the U.S. (no earlier than 30 days prior to the Form DS-2019 start date)
At the U.S. border, present your: passport, J-1 entry visa, Form DS-2019, SEVIS fee receipt, Babson invitation letter, and funding evidence.
- Check-in with the Glavin Office (Hollister Hall, Suite 220) upon arrival to the U.S.
- Visit the Babson OneCard Office (Reynolds 233) to obtain a Babson photo ID (for dining and library access).