Sustainable food is something everyone experiences. Babson partners with Sodexo Dining Services to provide food across campus, and with Flik to provide catering services at the Babson Executive Conference Center.
Where possible Sodexo procures local foods and products directly from local food producers, dependent on seasonal variation. To date, these include:
- Babson Community Garden, Babson Park, MA—A small percentage of seasonal herbs
- Philbin Orchards, Sterling, MA—Produce
- Carlson Orchards, Harvard, MA—Produce
- Dole and Bailey Inc., Woburn, MA—Meats
- Green Mountain Roasters, Waterbury VT—Coffee
- HP Hood, LLC—Dairy Products
- Boisvert Farms, Hadley, MA—Produce
- Joe Czaskowski Farms, Hadley, MA—Produce
- Williams Farms, South Deerfield, MA—Produce
- Davidian Brothers Farm, Northboro, MA—Produce
- Springbrook Farms, Littleton, MA—Produce
- Clearview Orchards, Sterling, MA—Produce
- Dick’s Market Garden, Lunenburg, MA—Produce
Babson Dining Services has served Fair Trade coffee in the dining halls since 2004. Green Mountain Fair Trade Coffee and Jazzman’s Fair Trade Coffee selections are available at several locations on campus.
Babson Dining Services are working hard to reduce food, energy, and water waste, and to use renewable and recycled materials where possible.
- Timers installed on hall exhaust hoods and fans in kitchen and on some lights in Dining Services areas
- Limited use of garbage disposals to conserve water and energy
- Removal of paper cups from dining halls, which meant 154,000 cups do not enter the waste stream each year
- Just-in-time cooking practices resulting in 80% less food waste
- Reusable mug campaign—retail outlets offer a discount on refills with the mug
- Diversion of food waste for composting
Visit babsondining.sodexomyway.com for more information.
Executive Conference Center Catering
Babson Executive Conference Center has integrated several sustainability practices into its catering program.
- Use of organic products and proteins.
- rBGH free dairy products
- Fairly traded coffee offered throughout BECC (Distant lands)
- Mighty Leaf organic teas offered throughout BECC
- Use of sustainable seafood
- Vegan, vegetarian, and healthy dining options available daily
- Support of local farmers and farmers markets for produce
- Trim Trax program used to minimize product waste