Babson Events You Won't Want to Miss
Babson has events going on every day of the week, many of which are open to the public. Here’s a snapshot of what has taken place the past year, and a few of the ways you can take advantage of the internationally recognized institution in your backyard.
- Food Days, featuring Entrepreneurs in Residence Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods and Gail Simmons of Top Chef, included interactive talks and a fair of locally sourced food. Visitwww.foodsol.org for a recap of last year’s events and check back for 2015 events.
- The Babson Entrepreneurship Forum features more than 30 innovators, thought leaders, and visionaries discussing opportunities to shape entrepreneurship around the world. The 2014 keynote speakers (who were inducted into Babson’s Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs®) were Diane Hessan, founder and chairman of Communispace; Alan Trefler, founder and CEO of Pegasystems; and Graham Weston, founder, chairman of the board, and CEO of Rackspace. See Outgrowing the Startup for more from the keynote speakers. Past speakers include Robin Chase, founder and former CEO of Buzzcar.com and Zipcar; Caron Demars, leader of the Global Entrepreneurship Program in the U.S. State Department-led Economic Bureau; and Jenny Rushmore, director of responsible travel at TripAdvisor. Check out www.babsonforum.com for a recap of last year’s speakers and topics, as well as next year’s lineup.
- The B.E.T.A. (Babson Entrepreneurial Thought and Action®) Challenge recognizes major milestones Babson businesses have achieved by taking action. Babson student and alumni entrepreneurs compete for more than $100,000 in cash and services in kind to support their business development. Finalists make their presentations to a panel of judges that includes Babson alumni entrepreneurs and investors from the local area.
- Rocket Pitch is an annual event where student entrepreneurs from Babson (Babson alumni also are eligible), Olin College, and Wellesley College are invited to pitch to an audience of investors, service providers, entrepreneurs, faculty, and students. Each entrepreneur is given three minutes and three PowerPoint slides to articulate quickly and succinctly the differentiating elements of his or her business idea. Check out www.babson.edu/rocketpitch for a recap of the 15th anniversary of the event and for more information about next year’s event.
- Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) is celebrated each November with a series of events and activities. Babson’s weeklong celebration is part of thousands of events in 140+ countries celebrating innovation, entrepreneurship, and creativity. GEW brings together aspiring and inspiring entrepreneurs via local, national, and global activities.
Jamie Bissonnette and Joanne Chang
A Sampling of 2014 Speakers at Babson
Jamie Bissonnette, Owner and Chef, Coppa, Toro
Lloyd Blankfein, CEO and Chairman, Goldman Sachs
Tory Burch, CEO and Designer, Tory Burch. SeeInvesting in Women: A Conversation with Tory Burch.
Joanne Chang, Owner and Chef, Flour Bakery, Myers + Chang
Kevin Colleran ’03, Venture Partner, General Catalyst Partners; One of the first 10 Facebook employees
Richard Doyle, Co-founder, Harpoon Brewery
Jill Medvedow, Director, Institute of Contemporary Art
Elizabeth Nabel, MD, President, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Graham Weston, Co-founder, Chairman, and CEO, Rackspace
Upcoming Events and Programs
March 27 / 8 a.m.–3 p.m. / Cutler Center 8th Annual Babson Investment Management Association (BIMA) Investments Conference, featuring:
- Charles Clough, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Clough Capital Partners, L.P.
- Kathleen Gaffney, Vice President and Co-Director, Investment Grade Fixed-Income, Eaton Vance
- Gregory Valliere, Chief Political Strategist, Potomac Research Group
For more information or to register, visitwww.babson.edu/cutlercenter
March 27 / 8 p.m. / Carling-Sorenson Theater / Basetrack Live
This multimedia event tells the story of one group of marines and their families before, during, and after their deployment in Afghanistan.
For more information, visit: www.babsonarts.org
March 28–29 / Shooting Touch’s third annual Spring Sports Conference
Panelists, including Boston Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca, head coach Brad Stevens, and Boston Red Sox chief marketing officer Adam Grossman, will offer insights into the sports industry.
For more information or to register, visit www.shootingtouch.com/spring-sports-conference
June 8–12 / Leadership and Influence
This is one of many open enrollment programs offered by Babson Executive and Enterprise Education.
For more information, visit www.babson.edu/bee/openenrollment