BABSON COLLEGE HOSTS BABSON CONNECT: WORLDWIDE – ITS INAUGURAL LATIN AMERICA SUMMIT / GLOBAL MBA REUNION IN CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA
Babson College is hosting its inaugural Latin America Summit / Global Master of Business Administration Reunion -- Babson Connect: Worldwide -- an unprecedented opportunity for the global Babson community to gather and celebrate Entrepreneurship of All Kinds®. This global gathering is taking place April 24-26, 2015 in historic Cartagena, Colombia, a celebrated World Heritage city.
Attendees at this prestigious, three-day global business summit will include Babson alumni, parents, and friends from Latin America; Babson alumni from around the world; and prominent regional entrepreneurs and business leaders.
Cartagena is the ideal host city for the Summit, given Babson’s long and deep connections with that part of the world:
- The region is home to over 1,200 alumni
- 81 current MBA students are from Latin America, and
- More than 150 current Undergraduate students are from Latin America
Babson’s entrepreneurial culture thrives in Latin America:
- Over 75 Latin American businesses are owned by Babson alumni, and
- Nearly 100 businesses in Latin America are owned by Babson parents
“Babson College’s strong relationships throughout Latin America are so important to our global reach, academic reputation and diversity,” said Babson President Kerry Healey. “Currently, 41 percent of Babson MBA students come from Latin America—including 10 from Colombia. Their enthusiasm and impact as entrepreneurial leaders serves as a cornerstone for economic and social growth across the region while creating exciting opportunities for collaboration around the world.”
"It is my pleasure to host Babson Connect: Worldwide in Cartagena, Colombia, my home country, and one of the most sought after destinies for investment and entrepreneurial opportunities in Latin America. Colombia is a premier Latin American hotspot for entrepreneurship, leadership, and social enterprise, which makes this perfect venue for Babson Connect: Worldwide. I hope that this forum in Cartagena will enhance Babson’s spirit and the ties with its alumni MBA network worldwide," said Carlos Mattos MBA '76 P'17, Hyundai Colombia Automotriz, S.A.
Entrepreneurial Culture in Colombia
According to the 2013 Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Colombia report, the country is a leader in entrepreneurial thinking.
The entrepreneurial pipeline concept indicates that, in the Colombian adult population:
- 77% have a positive socio-cultural perception about entrepreneurship and entrepreneurs,
- 65% are potential entrepreneurs,
- 55% are intentional entrepreneurs,
- 14% are nascent entrepreneurs,
- 10% are new entrepreneurs, and
- 6% of adults in Colombia are established entrepreneurs
Babson Connect: Worldwide Events
- Engaging keynote speakers and panels discussing emerging trends in entrepreneurship, family business, global investing, and social enterprise
- A gala celebrating the newest inductee into the Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs®, and the first ever Lewis Community Changemaker Award.
- A corporate education workshop from Babson Executive Education designed to explore ways to drive growth and create value
Babson Faculty Presentations
- Leading into the Future: Innovative Entrepreneurs vs. Corporate Caligulas - Jay Rao, Professor, Technology, Operations & Information Management
- Conscious Capitalism: Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business - Raj Sisodia, F.W. Olin Distinguished Professor of Global Business
- Building Entrepreneurship Ecosystem – The Manizales Mas Project - Dan Isenberg, Professor, Babson Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Project
- Marcela Escobar Arango - Manizales-Mas Director
- Sebastián Escobar Aristizabal - Esar CEO
- Jose Alfredo Restrepo Echeverry - Luker Foundation Chairman
- Nicolas Restrepo Escobar - La Patria Newspaper CEO
- Gabriel Cadena Gomez - Autonoma University President
- Lina Maria Ramirez Londono - Manizales' Chamber of Commerce President
- Oscar Villegas Velasquez - Sumatec CEO
- Pablo Jaramillo Villegas - Luker Foundation CEO
- Global Lessons from Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Business and 10,000 Women - Patricia G. Greene, Paul T. Babson Chair in Entrepreneurship; Candida Brush, Franklin W. Olin Chair and Professor of Entrepreneurship, Division Chair-Entrepreneurship, Research Director-Arthur M. Blank Center; Facilitated by Dean Elaine Eisenman
- Building Competitive and Entrepreneurial Cities – Babson Global’s Competitiveness and Enterprise Cities Project - Panel presentation with Shanker Singham, Managing Director, Competitiveness and Enterprise Development Project, Babson Global: and Erick A. Brimen ‘06, Partner, NeWAY
- Leveraging the Babson Network for Global Enterprise – Moderated by Babson President Kerry Healey, former Lt. Governor of Massachusetts; Alexander Thomson-Payan ‘06, President and Founder, TGI Group; and Jeff Avallon ’06, Vice President of Corporate Development, IdeaPaint;
- Babson’s Examination of Latin America Family Enterprises - Moderated by Pedro Martin P’17, Chief Executive Officer, LILA Ltd., Babson Global Advisory Board; and Bettina Beckhoff P'11, '14;
- Welcome Reception - Carlos Mattos MBA '76 P'17, Hyundai Colombia Automotriz, S.A.;
- Windows To The Future of Global Health, A Conversation with President Kerry Healey and Donald Hannan III, Director, Kletjian Foundation concerning the collaboration of three major institutions - Mass Eye and Ear, Harvard Medical School, and Babson College - around their developing Global Surgery Project.
Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs®
Babson will be pleased to honor celebrated investor and philanthropist Jaime Gilinski Bacal as the newest member of Babson’s Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs®.
In 1978, Babson College, established the world’s first entrepreneurship hall of fame, the Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs®. Since its inception, the academy has recognized and honored entrepreneurs who have contributed significantly to the development of free enterprise throughout the world. Serving as Master of Ceremonies for the induction will be Professor Candida Brush, Chair of Babson’s Entrepreneurship Division.
Community Changemaker Award
The Lewis Institute illuminates a path for students, faculty, and corporate partners seeking entry into the field of social innovation. Cheryl Kiser, Executive Director, The Lewis Institute and Babson Social Innovation Lab, will present the honor.
Babson Connect: Worldwide Leadership
- Vicente Carvajal ’91, Board of Overseers, Global Advisory Board
- Abraham Chehebar ’92
- Alvaro F. Pena ’96, President, Colombia Alumni Club, and
- Oriana Torres M’13, Colombia Alumni Club
- Eduardo Barco ’82, P’18, Global Advisory Board
- Lupo M. del Bono ’79, P’09, Board of Overseers, Global Advisory Board
- Alvaro and Tanya Heilbron P’17, Global Advisory Board
- Raymond Kassin ’84, Global Advisory Board;
- Leo and Pearl Lynn Katz P’17
- Jorge Massa and Anita Massa de Cisneros P’94
- Carlos J. Mattos M’76, P’17, Board of Trustees
- Andres Pastrana P’08 ’18, Former President of Colombia
- David Seinjet and Esther Perez P’17
- Alberto Perlman ’98, Alumni Entrepreneur Hall of Fame, and
- Giuseppina "Chiquina" Vinaccia '74, P'15, Global Advisory Board
- Fernan Arias M'15, Co-President Babson Latin American Club
- Paola Gerlein '17
- Billy Mata M'15, Co-President Babson Latin American Club
- Valentina Pastrana '18
- Maria Pereda M'15
- Martin Restrepo '17, and
- Sanjay Zimmerman '15
Infographic: Learn More About Babson and Entrepreneurship in Latin America
About Babson College
Babson College is the educator, convener, and thought leader for Entrepreneurship of All Kinds®. The College is a dynamic living and learning laboratory, where students, faculty, and staff work together to address the real-world problems of business and society—while at the same time evolving our methods and advancing our programs. We shape the leaders our world needs most: those with strong functional knowledge and the skills and vision to navigate change, accommodate ambiguity, surmount complexity, and motivate teams in a common purpose to create economic and social value. As we have for nearly a half-century, Babson continues to advance Entrepreneurial Thought and Action® as the most positive force on the planet for generating sustainable economic and social value.