- Ph D, Johns Hopkins University
- MA, University of Wisconsin
- BA, Bowling Green State University
Academic InterestsBusiness History
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2018
- HIS 4670 THE HISTORY AND ETHICS OF CAPITALISM
- HIS 4610 SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN THAILAND & LAOS
Degree Courses 2017
- HIS 4608 SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN MALAYSIA
- Hoopes, J. (2018). A Buddhist Economics Approach to Innovation and Capacity Building: The Case of Siam Hands. Society and Economy in Central and Eastern Europe. Vol: 40, Issue: 4, Page: 553-570. Corvinus University of Budapest. link
- Prayukvong, W., Hoopes, J.E. (in press). A Buddhist Economics Approach to Social Innovation and Capacity Building: The Case of Siam Hands. Society and Economy in Central and Eastern Europe. link
- Haryanto, J.O., Silva, M., Moutinho, L., Hoopes, J.E. (in press). In Loco Parentis: A Virtuous Model for Marketing to Children. Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences.
- Yusof, M., Nor, L.M., James, H.E. (2014). Virtuous CSR: an Islamic family business in Malaysia. Journal of Family Business Management. Vol: 4, Issue: 2, Page: 133-148. Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2003). Managerialism: Its History and Dangers. Historically Speaking.
Book Reviews - academic journals
- Prayukvong, W., Takagi, I., Hoopes, J.E. (2017). Clair Brown, Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science. Vol: 49, Page: 411-412. Social Choice and Welfare. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2013). Review of "Whats Good for Business: Business and American Politics since World War II" by Phillips-Fein and Zelizer: Journal of American History. Vol: 100, Issue: 2. Oxford University Press.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2016). Higher Education as a Community Builder in the United States: A Model for the ASEAN Community?. Issue: 28. AEI Occasional Papers . link
Other (please explain)
- Hoopes, J.E. (2012). Corporate Dreams - synopsis of book, serialized in 7 weekly installments at CSR Wire . CSRwire.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2012). Lets Stop Using CSR to Rebuild Trust: CSRwire. 3BL Media. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2011). Corporate Dreams: Big Business in American Democracy from the Great Depression to the Great Recession. Rutgers University Press .
- Hoopes, J.E. (2008). Leaders Should Manage FOR Values: Chief Executive Magazine.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2004). The De-Humanized Employee: ITs Dark Side: CIO (Chief Information Officer) Magazine.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2008). Hail to the CEO: The Failure of George W. Bush and the Cult of Moral Leadership. Praeger.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2003). False Prophets: The Gurus Who Created Modern Management and Why Their Ideas Are Bad for Business Today. Basic Books.
Essays - Academic book chapter or contribution, new, editorially reviewed
- Hoopes, J.E. (2005). Growth through Knowledge: Wal*Mart, High Technology, and the Ever Less Visible Hand of the Manager: Wal*Mart: Face of 21st-Century Capitalism. New Press.