Technology, Entrepreneurship, and Design
The Technology, Entrepreneurship, and Design (TED) concentration offers students a cross-disciplinary, experiential opportunity to explore innovation in products and organizations from a number of different vantage points. The concentration also offers the opportunity to work closely with students from engineering and design schools.
To fulfill the requirements of the concentration, students take four courses in the following pattern: First, students must take one core course in technological entrepreneurship (either EPS3503 New Technology Ventures or EPS3501 Entrepreneurship and Opportunity, but not both). Second, students must take one core course that introduces them to customer-focused design thinking (either User-oriented Collaborative Design at Olin College or EPS4527 Social Entrepreneurship by Design). Finally, students select two courses from a list of courses that comprise various aspects of innovation, technology, and design. The list encompasses courses from Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Operations, Law, Economics, and Engineering.
Sponsored by: Entrepreneurship and Technology, Operations, and Information Management Divisions
Faculty Contact: Candida Brush and Sebastian Fixson
Faculty contacts serve as advisers to those students who have an interest in the given concentration. You should feel free to contact these faculty with questions.
I. Choose one from the following list:
- EPS 3501 Entrepreneurship and Opportunity
- EPS 3503 New Technology Ventures (offered in fall only)
II. Choose one from the following list:
- EPS 4527 Social Entrepreneurship by Design (offered in spring only)
- ENGR 2250 Olin College - User-oriented Collaborative Design (offered in spring only) TOM 5550
III. Choose two from the following list:
- ECN 3675 Environmental Economic Policy (offered in fall 2012 and fall 2013)
- EPS 4515 Affordable Design and Entrepreneurship (offered in fall 2012, spring 2013, fall 2013, spring 2014)
- EPS 4523 Environment and Sustainable Entrepreneurship (offered in spring 2013, spring 2014)
- LAW 3675 Innovation and Law: A critical examination (anticipated to be offered in spring 2013, spring 2014)
- MIS 3515 High-Tech Entrepreneurship: Accessing Opportunities and Viability of High-Tech Start-Ups or Products (anticipated to be offered in fall terms)
- MKT 3560 Marketing New Products (offered in spring 2013, spring 2014)
- MOB 3522 Leading and Managing Sustainability (offered in spring 2013, spring 2014)
- MOB 3578 Product Design & Development (not offered in fall 2012; will be offered in fall 2013)
- ENGR 1200 Olin College - Design Nature (space permitting) CGE 1200
- ENGR 2199 Olin College - Engineering for Humanity (space permitting) MOB 5550
- ENGR 3210 Olin College - Sustainable Design (space permitting) TOM 5550
- The above listed semesters for Academic Year 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 in which we plan to offer courses are anticipated: We do our best to plan courses two years ahead to help students with their course scheduling, but we cannot guarantee that no changes will ever occur.
- Please see the Babson course numbers listed next to the Olin College courses for the Babson equivalent courses