Technology, Entrepreneurship, and Design
The Technology, Entrepreneurship, and Design (TED) concentration offers students a cross-disciplinary, experiential opportunity to explore innovation in products and organizations from a number of different vantage points. The concentration also offers the opportunity to work closely with students from engineering and design schools.
To fulfill the requirements of the concentration, students take four courses in the following pattern: First, students must take one core course in technological entrepreneurship (either EPS3503 New Technology Ventures or EPS3501 Entrepreneurship and Opportunity, but not both). Second, students must take one core course that introduces them to customer-focused design thinking (either User-oriented Collaborative Design at Olin College or EPS4527 Social Entrepreneurship by Design). Finally, students select two courses from a list of courses that comprise various aspects of innovation, technology, and design. The list encompasses courses from Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Operations, Law, Economics, and Engineering.
Sponsored by: Entrepreneurship Division and Technology, Operations, and Information Management Division
Faculty Contacts: Jennifer Bailey and Phil Kim
Faculty contacts serve as advisers to those students who have an interest in the given concentration. You should feel free to contact these faculty with questions.
A) Choose one from the following list:
- EPS 3501 Entrepreneurship and Opportunity
- EPS 3503 New Technology Ventures
- EPS 4520 (San Francisco Program) Silicon Technology Ventures*
B) Choose one from the following list:
- EPS 4527 Social Entrepreneurship by Design
- ENGR 2250 (Olin College) User-oriented Collaborative Design (TOM 5550)
C) Choose two from the following list (Note: Not all courses below are offered in every semester; please check course listings for details):
- ECN 3675 Environmental Economic Policy
- EPS 4505 (San Francisco Program) Consulting in Technology Entrepreneurship
- EPS 4515 Affordable Design and Entrepreneurship
- EPS 4523 Environment and Sustainable Entrepreneurship
- LAW 3675 Innovation and Law: A critical examination
- LVA 2075 Design for Living
- MIS 3515 High-Tech Entrepreneurship: Accessing Opportunities and Viability of High-Tech Start-Ups or Products
- MKT 3560 Marketing New Products
- MOB 3522 Leading and Managing Sustainability
- MOB 3578 Integrated Product Design
- SCN 3635 Sustainability Applications of Mapping Technology
- ENGR 1200 (Olin College) Design Nature (space permitting) (CGE 1200)
- ENGR 2199 (Olin College) Engineering for Humanity (space permitting) (MOB 5550)
- ENGR 3210 (Olin College) Sustainable Design (space permitting) (TOM 5550)
- ENGR 3220 (Olin College) Human Factors and Interface Design (space permitting)
*This course (EPS 4520) can be utilized for the group C) course options for students in the classes of 2017 & 2018.