Skip Navigation LinksHome / Admission / Visiting Student Programs / High School Students / Summer Study / Admitted Students / International Admitted Students

International Admitted Students

Each year, Babson welcomes students from around the world who seek a university experience in the United States. Our students experience college life, meet new friends, and challenge themselves with academics and new ways of living and learning. The instructions below are designed to help you complete the necessary application and provide information about visa requirements for study in the U.S.

Required Steps After Enrollment

  1. Request an I-20 » 

  2. Submit a copy of Declaration/Certification of Finances (DEC) and accompanying documents to he Glavin Office at

You will require F-1 status in order to study at Babson. To do so, you must submit a copy of your completed DEC, along with supporting copies of financial documents and copies of your passport identification page(s).

  • If you currently have an I-20 from another school and intend to return to that school after the summer, submit copies of your current I-20, your most recent I-94 arrival/departure record, and a letter from your current school confirming your lawful status and eligibility to continue your education there after completion of your summer courses at Babson.

  • If you are currently in the U.S. and possess a nonimmigrant status, such as E-2, L-2, J-2, or H-4, you may be eligible to participate in Babson’s Summer Study Program without submitting a DEC and changing to F-1 student status.

Babson College considers its summer study programs to be full-time programs. As such, nonimmigrant students are required to obtain the appropriate lawful immigration status prior to enrolling in a Babson summer study program. Admittance into the U.S. as a tourist (e.g. visa waiver program or B1/B2 visitor visa) is not suitable for full-time study in the U.S.

Receive your Form I-20 from Babson College

The Summer Study Program will send the Form I-20 to you, via international courier, within 2 weeks of receipt of your completed DEC.

Pay the SEVIS fee and obtain a receipt

In order to apply for the F-1 Visa, you will need to provide receipt of payment of a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For guidance on making the $200 payment, please go to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Form I-901 Online Completion website at to pay the required SEVIS fee. For more detailed information go to the SEVP website and review Frequently Asked Questions. This site also contains a link to Form I-901.

Detailed information regarding payment of the SEVIS fee and the visa application process is available at under the prospective student heading.

Schedule an F-1 Visa appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Once you receive your I-20 from Babson College and have paid your SEVIS fee, you will be able to set up an appointment at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy nearest you. Please follow the guidelines of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for requesting your F-1 Visa. The appropriate Visa application fee will be assessed at the time of your appointment.

Please consider that U.S. consulate Visa processing and Visa appointment wait times can be lengthy during peak times (before and during the summer study program period).

Canadian Residents

Although you do not need an F-1 visa stamp to enter the U.S. in F-1student immigration status, you are required to possess a Form I-20.

You must also pay the SEVIS fee and present your SEVIS fee receipt and Form I-20 at the U.S.—Canada land border or at the airport for lawful entry to the U.S. as an F-1 student. Please make sure at the Port of Entry that you receive a Form I-94 (arrival/departure record, small white card) stamped “F-1 D/S” (Duration of Status).

At your visa interview, present the following documents:

  • Original Form I-20 issued by Babson College
  • I-901 Fee receipt
  • Babson College admission letter
  • Original DEC and original accompanying documentation
  • Valid Passport

When you approach the U.S. border, be prepared to present to the Port of Entry Officer:

  • Babson Form I-20
  • I-901 fee receipt
  • Babson College admission letter
  • DEC and accompanying funding documentation
  • Valid Passport
  • Form I-94 (arrival/departure card, received from the airline during the flight)

F-1 students in initial status may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the Form I-20 (Item #5). Please make your flight arrangements accordingly.

During Summer Study Orientation you must present the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Form I-94 stamped “F-1 D/S” (Duration of Status)
  • Form I-20 from Babson College
  • Any other immigration documentation issued to you at the U.S. border

Helpful Links

Entering the U.S. in Tourist Status

You should not enter the U.S. as a tourist (e.g. Visa waiver program or tourist Visa) to attend the summer program at Babson. The program you will be attending is designated as full-time and your immigration status must allow you to engage in a full course of study. The B-1/B-2 Visa and the Visa waiver program do not allow for full-time study.

If you have questions about your immigration status, please contact: International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), a division of the Glavin Office of Multicultural & International Education, at 001-781-239-4565 or

Deadlines for Documentation

Your DEC and accompanying documents must be received by May 10, 2013 in order to allow sufficient time for issuance of Form I-20 and the visa application process.