Those skills you have developed in a variety of settings—professional, volunteer work, enrichment courses, hobbies, etc., that are applicable to the scope of responsibilities outlined in the job you seek.
Perhaps the two most important pieces of information to keep in mind while job hunting are:
- Networking is the most effective job-search strategy, and
- Marketing your transferable skills is an essential tool for leveraging your candidacy.
Tips for Presenting Your Transferable Skills
- Examine the job description paying close attention to the responsibilities required and the qualifications sought.
- Demonstrate your ability to perform the job.
- Select action verbs which effectively articulate the message you wish to convey.
- Emphasize skills which employers note they value in new hires, including communication, teamwork, and leadership skills.
For additional resources regarding strategies to portray your transferable skills and examples of how to effectively communicate transferable skills, select from the following online articles: