As part of our commitment to creating a sustainable environment BECC upgraded the energy systems to be kinder and gentler to the earth.
What was done?
- Upgraded all the lighting in guestrooms, meeting rooms and public spaces to be more energy efficient.
- Upgraded the air handling system
- Upgraded all bathrooms to low flow toilets, showerheads and faucets.
And how will it save the environment?
- BECC will conserve an average of 616,842 kilowatt hours a year. That amount of energy saved in just one year could power an average America household for 28 years!
- BECC will conserve an average of one million gallons of water a year. All that water saved could fill up 2 Olympic sized swimming pools every year!
We think that is pretty cool! But, it doesn’t end there ... Here is a list of all the other things that are part of our daily sustainability efforts.
- Donations to local shelters.
- Controlled portions for less waste.
- Use of organic products and proteins.
- rBGH free dairy products.
- Fairly traded coffee offered throughout BECC (Distant lands).
- Mighty Leaf organic teas offered throughout BECC.
- Use of sustainable seafood. Non-hydrogenated, zero trans fat cooking oils used.
- Vegan, vegetarian and healthy dining options available daily.
- Use of local farmers and farmers markets.
- Trim Trax program used to minimize product waste.
- Water filtration system available throughout building.
- Recycling of paper, cardboard, glass and plastic.
- No Styrofoam.
- Recycle wood pallets.
- Battery recycling.
- Recycling trash cans available throughout BECC.
- Recycling of office supplies.
- Use of compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Towel/sheet reuse program.
- Reusable glasses in guest rooms.
- Water efficient toilets.
- Green cleaning products.
- Sales office uses email instead of paper when promoting events and provides an email address and phone number for reply.
- Use networking events as an opportunity to discuss “Green” issues.
- Use electronic brochure and electronic proposal to limit paper usage.
- Distribute internal reports electronically.
- Scan and e-mail final bill and back up to clients.
- Double side all copies.
- Energy management program to reduce electricity consumption.
- Offer newspapers in common area only instead of guest room delivery.