The Strategic Planning and Management in Retailing Cases
The Strategic Planning and Management in Retailing Program faculty always have relied heavily on cases to illustrate the models we use in the program and to give participants an opportunity to apply them. Cases also allow us to present examples from many retail sectors. Increasingly, we have come to write and produce our case materials for both the open enrollment program and custom versions of it. Many of these cases may be of interest to our readers.
Our Summer 2010 newsletter was our first to feature one of our cases: Hennes and Mauritz, the rapidly expanding Swedish fast fashion retailer. This newsletter features one of our most recent cases, the premier off-price retailer in the United States, TJ Maxx
. It is available in soft copy from me at firstname.lastname@example.org
. This case is organized around the Homans Model and the Pentagon and Triangle Model.
Featured Case Study: T.J. Maxx
Read about the premier off-price retailer in the United States, T.J. Maxx. Download Case [PDF]
In addition to the TJ Maxx case, we have several other recently written cases that can be ordered. They include:
To order any of these cases, please contact me at email@example.com
- Best Buy 2006–2012: From Customer Centricity to the “Connected World” to ??? (authored by John Strong), 2012, 10 pp., W&M-M-178.
- Nordstrom 2005–2012 (authored by John Strong), 2012, 4 pp., W&M-M-177.
- Whole Foods Market in 2011 (authored by Larry Ring, Ronald L. Hess, Jr. and Vidula Shinde), 2012, 38 pp., W&M-M-176.
- Target Stores 2010–Present: An Unexpected Change of Events (authored by Ron Hess and Sonika Patel), 2011, 6 pp., W&M-M-174
- Amazon.com in 2010 (authored by Larry Ring and Matthew Nathan), 2011, 34 pp., W&M-M-173.
- T.J. Maxx (authored by Larry Ring, Ron Hess, Sonika Patel, and Amruta Kanitkar), 2011, 34 pp., W&M-M-172.
- Lowe’s Stores in 2010 (authored by Larry Ring, Ron Hess, and Amruta Kanitkar), 2010, 28 pp., W&M-M-170.
- Target Stores 2006–2009: Fall From Grace or Slight Misstep? (authored by Ron Hess), 2009, 16 pp., W&M-M-169.
- Starbucks (B): Period of Poor Strategic Decisions (authored by Ron Hess), 2009, 4 pp., W&M-M-168.
- Hennes and Mauritz (authored by Larry Ring and Rachel Hutson), 2009, 21 pp.,
- Zara in 2007 (authored by Larry Ring and Elizabeth Galloway), 2008, 21 pp., W&M-M-164.
- Target Stores in 2006 (authored by Larry Ring, Gregory Higgins, and Xiaobing Nie), 2007, 30 pp., W&M-M-159.
- Best Buy 1996–2005 (authored by John S. Strong), 2005, 9 pp., W&M-M-158.
- The Gap, 1999–2002 (authored by Larry Ring), 2005, 9 pp., W&M-M-156.
- The Home Depot, 2000–2005 (authored by Larry Ring, John Strong, and Yelena Shekhovtsova), 2005, 26 pp., W&M-M-154.