By giving appreciated securities held for more than 12 months, you benefit in two ways:
- You can claim a charitable income tax deduction for the value of the shares on the date the gift is made. The deduction is limited to 30% of your adjusted gross income in the year of the gift, but any amount exceeding that ceiling can be carried forward and deducted for another 5 years.
- You will avoid the capital gains tax that would have been due if you had sold the appreciated securities.
How to Make a Gift of Securities
- How to Transfer Stocks (PDF)
- Email Advancement Services for more information regarding appreciated securities.
- Contact Advancement Services at 781-239-4044 to obtain wire transfer instructions.
*Note: The information on this site is not intended as legal, "tax" or investment advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney, "tax professional" or investment professional.