Business leaders and founders from across the world to convene for entrepreneurship summit with Babson alumni, faculty, and friends
Babson College, the top ranked college for the study of entrepreneurship, is set to host its third annual Babson Connect: Worldwide in Bangkok, Thailand March 24-26, 2017.
This premier global business summit will see prominent entrepreneurs and international business leaders from the region, as well as Babson alumni, faculty, parents, administrators, and friends discussing and celebrating
Entrepreneurship of All Kinds®.
“Babson Connect: Worldwide, now in its third year, is the world’s premier entrepreneurship summit, bringing together international business leaders from five continents to explore the transformative power of entrepreneurship,” said Babson College President
Kerry Healey. “We welcome you to join the global Babson community as we gather in Bangkok, Thailand to connect, collaborate and celebrate the unparalleled potential of entrepreneurs of all kinds to create positive change in the world.”
Attendees will hear from Ferit Faik Sahenk—Chairman of one of the top largest private-sector conglomerates in Turkey, Dogus Holding; William Heinecke—Chairman and CEO of one of the largest hospitality and leisure companies in the Asia Pacific Region, Minor International; Richard Eu—CEO of healthcare firm Eu Yang Sang International, and more than 30 other renowned speakers. See below for a full schedule.
Two highlights will be the naming of Babson’s newest Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs® inductee—Harry Susilo PBM, Founder and Chairman of the Sekar Group of Companies, as well as the college’s newest Lewis Changemaker honoree—Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Executive Director and CEO of HCL Corporation, Director of HCL Technologies, and Trustee of Shiv Nadar Foundation.
Bangkok is an ideal host for Babson’s annual, signature event given the rise of entrepreneurship in Thailand and Babson’s rooted local connections:
- According to the latest report from the Babson-sponsored Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM), 74 percent of the Thai population perceive entrepreneurship as a good career choice, and approximately 27 percent own established businesses. In addition, 23 percent of adults in Thailand have entrepreneurial intentions, while 17 percent are engaging in early-stage entrepreneurial activity.
- Thailand is home to 27 current Babson students and over 213 alumni.
- Three hundred thirty-one current students and 1,449 alumni live in Asia.
- Babson maintains numerous
Alumni Clubs in Asia including Thailand, Singapore, the Philippines, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, India, Greater China, and Pakistan. In total, they now host 1,410 members.
This is the third annual Babson Connect: Worldwide. Previously locations were
Dubai, UAE in 2016 and
Cartagena, Colombia in 2015.
Registered attendees to date represent 24 countries across 5 continents.
Babson Connect: Worldwide Thailand Full Schedule
- Recognition of the newest inductees into the Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs® and the recipient of the 2017 Lewis Institute Community Changemaker Award
- Diverse program of educational and cultural presentations, discussions, and networking opportunities
- Social breakout sessions featuring the best of the region’s cuisine and entertainment—including Thai cooking, kickboxing, massage, and dancing classes
Masters of Ceremonies for the events will be entertainer Tin Chokamolkit ’99 and
Attachet “Go” Weerapat, Assistant Professor, Accounting and Law, Babson College.
Welcome Remarks on Friday, March 24 will feature Babson College President Kerry Healey and Bangkok University President and Minister of Industry Uttama Savanayana, and the program will include 89 seconds of silence in honor of King Bhumibol.
Sessions will begin with Conversation with Leading Entrepreneurs in Hospitality Industry featuring panelists Ferit Faik Sahenk, Chairman of Dogus Holding; Harsha V. Agadi of Crawford & Company; Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, Minister of Tourism and Sport; and moderator Ozlem Denizmen.
Triple Bottom Line conversation will be led by Ramon Mendiola, CEO of Florida Ice and Farm Company.
Emerging Trends in ASEAN region will be introduced by Suchitra Lohia and moderated by Manoj Narender Madnani. The panel will include William Heinecke, Chairman and CEO of Minor International; Aloke Lohia, CEO of IndoramA Ventures PCL; and Chansiri Thirapong, President and CEO of Thai Union.
Practicing Entrepreneurship Through Design Thinking will feature a Babson Executive and Enterprise Education Workshop with Entrepreneurship Professor
On Saturday, March 25, Deputy Minister of Commerce Dr. Suvit Maesincee will deliver the welcome address.
Family Business Conversation will feature Richard Yee Ming Eu and Ritchit Eu of Eu Yang Sang International, interviewed by Professor Randel Carlock, the Berghmans Lhoist Chaired Professor in Entrepreneurial Leadership and the First Director of the Wendel International Centre for Family Enterprise; Harry Susilo and Finna Susilo of Sekar Group, interviewed by Professor Randel Carlock; and Dr. Yodjin Uahwatanasakul, interviewed by Atty. Richard J. Snyder.
Global Women Entrepreneurship Conversation will feature Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Executive Director and CEO of HCL Corporation, Director of HCL Technologies, and Trustee of Shiv Nadar Foundation. It will be moderated by Babson College President Kerry Healey.
Babson Youth Entrepreneurs panel will include Gaurang Jhunjhnuwala, Martin Restrepo Velasquez, Tim Chae, and Ausanee Mahagitsiri Leoni. It will be moderated by Professor Attachet “Go” Weerapat.
The Lewis Institute Changemaker Award, designed to recognize persons who have set something in motion in order to create positive change, will be presented to Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Executive Director and CEO of HCL Corporation; Director of HCL Technologies; and Trustee of Shiv Nadar Foundation.
Babson will also honor its newest Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs® candidate, Harry Susilo PBM, Founder and Chairman of the Sekar Group of Companies. Since its inception, the academy has recognized and honored entrepreneurs who have contributed significantly to the development of free enterprise throughout the world. Nominations of world-class entrepreneurs who have created great economic and social value are solicited from the Babson community as well as from outside the institution. Through the years, Babson has celebrated entrepreneurs of all kinds as illustrated by the impressive list of inductees. Collectively, the 98 members of the academy have created millions of jobs and improved societies around the world. Many of the most successful and visible entrepreneurs in the world are members of the academy. They represent companies that are some of the most highly regarded in their industry and household icons in their culture. These members have capitalized on the need for change, accepted the associated risk and responsibility, and made an impact on the world. The energy and innovation embodied by these individuals will be appreciated and applauded for many generations to come.
The BCW 2017 Advisory Committee consists of:
- Harish Fabiani P’17 (Spain), Board of Trustees
- Vivek Jain MBA’83 P’07 (India), Global Advisory Board
- Surya Jhunjhnuwala P’09 ’11 ’14 (India)
- Fred Kiang ’70, MBA’75 (China), Board of Trustees, Global Advisory Board
- Pimjai Leeissaranukul P’13 (Thailand), Global Advisory Board
- Willy Lin ’81, P’10 ’13 (Hong Kong)
- Suchitra Lohia P’06 ’15 (Thailand), Board of Trustees
- Li Ning ’80, P’18 (Hong Kong)
- Chockchai Sethiwan P’18 (Thailand), Global Advisory Board
- Warren Shen MBA’01 (United States)
- Richard J. Snyder ’60, H’94, P’93 ’01 (United States), Trustee Emeritus, Global Advisory Board
- Finna Susilo ’96 (United States)
- Chris Tabet and Lara Farha P’18 ’19 (United Arab Emirates), Global Advisory Board
- Yodjin Uahwatanasakul ’60, H’94, P’99 (Thailand), Honorary Member, Board of Trustees
- Farhana Vohra P’17 (India)
The BCW 2017 Host Committee consists of:
- Hamza Habib ’09 (Hong Kong)
- Sonia Husain ’04 (United States)
- Vasana Jantarach MBA’07 (Thailand)
- Anuj K. Jasani ’01 (Hong Kong)
- Benjapon Jivasantikarn MBA’05 (United States)
- Narumon Lertkangwanklai MBA’13 (Thailand)
- Savita Sresthaporn ’11 (Thailand)
- Anocha Uahwatanasakul ’99 (Thailand)
- Stephanie Yoe ’11 (Indonesia)
- Bryan Zolad ’97 (United States)
About Babson College
Babson College is the educator, convener, and thought leader for Entrepreneurship of All Kinds®. The top-ranked college for entrepreneurship education, Babson is a dynamic living and learning laboratory where students, faculty, and staff work together to address the real-world problems of business and society. We prepare the entrepreneurial leaders our world needs most: those with strong functional knowledge and the skills and vision to navigate change, accommodate ambiguity, surmount complexity, and motivate teams in a common purpose to make a difference in the world, and have an impact on organizations of all sizes and types. As we have for nearly a half-century, Babson continues to advance Entrepreneurial Thought & Action® as the most positive force on the planet for generating sustainable economic and social value.