International Students

Babson College, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and sponsoring agencies, impose regulations and require specific procedures for the employment of international students.

As each student's situation is different, you are encouraged to seek assistance from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and the Student Employment Office (SEO) before beginning any employment.

Students interested in working in the United States, should contact ISSS at 781-239-4565. International Student and Scholar Services is located in Nichols Hall. The staff of ISSS will evaluate the student’s visa status and determine their eligibility to work. Typically, full-time students with F-1 and J-1 status are allowed to work on-campus. International students are required to be in full-time status each academic semester in order to maintain valid immigration status to be eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during annual vacation periods.

International students cannot, under any circumstances, work on campus once they have graduated unless they have received Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization. The OPT process is handled by International Student and Scholar Services. Please contact ISSS at 781-239-4565 for further information.

It is imperative to determine if the student has previously worked on campus before allowing them to work any hours for the department.

If an international student has not worked for Babson before and they do not have a social security number:

  • The supervisor must complete the top section of the On-Campus Employment Form (J1). This verifies the job offer and full-time student status. It is the supervisor’s responsibility to complete the entire top section of the form, then return the form to the student employee.
  • The student must bring the form to International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) in Nichols along with a copy of their I-94 card so the form can be completed. ISSS will require two business days to complete the form. Any form that is not completed in its entirety will be returned to the supervisor, thus delaying the process for the student to obtain a social security number. The student may pick up the form at ISSS.
  • Complete the Social Security application (SS-5).
  • Bring the completed “On-Campus Employment Form” and the application along with your passport, I-94 card, Form I-20, or Form DS-2019 to the Social Security Administration Office to apply for your number. Note: The student must apply in person. The Social Security Administration has indicated that it generally takes two to three weeks for a Social Security Card to be received.
  • Request an application verification letter/receipt before leaving the SSA. This letter is required to begin working on campus. Note: International students are still required to complete an On-Campus Employment Voucher once they have proof they have applied for a social security number.
  • Once the international student has applied for a Social Security Number, they must come to the Student Employment Office to complete the Form I-9, W-4, and the Foreign National Form. Information provided on the Foreign National Form will be entered into the Windstar database which will analyzed the information, determine how a student should be taxed, and produce the federally required forms for signature.

    We recommend bringing the documents listed below:

    • Letter of Application Verification/Receipt (from the Social Security Administration)
    • Campus Employment Voucher
    • Confidentiality Agreement
    • FERPA Agreement
    • Direct Deposit Form
    • Foreign passport
    • Certificate of Eligibility/Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
    • Form I-94
    • Once the student receives the actual Social Security card, they should bring it to the Student Employment Office in Nichols so a copy can be made to complete the paperwork.

All those employed by Babson College must have a valid Social Security number or receipt as proof they have applied for one, in order to start working.

Note: Immigration regulations for international students are complex and change frequently. Please contact International Student and Scholar Services at 781-239-4565 for further information.