How to Create a New Page
After logging in, navigate to the subsite where you want to add the new page.
In the right corner of your page, select the gear icon to open the drop down and then select Add a page.
A New Page dialog box will appear. Enter the page name using the site standards:
- Use all lower case letters
- No special characters like @, &, *, et. al.
- Use hyphens between words to represent spaces.
- Use a small number of words that intuitively describe the page.
- e.g. “student-testimonials”
Press the Create button.
SharePoint will take you directly into the page you’ve created and you’ll be in Edit mode. The page layout will default to the subsite default layout (this is most often Level 3 Babson Page).
Update the properties (or metadata) of the page to optimize the page for search engines.
Within the PAGE tab, select Edit Properties. Update the Short Title and Long Title fields under Edit Properties so you will be able to publish the page.
SharePoint will prefill the Short Title with the page name (e.g. “student testimonials”) and your name as Owner. These following 5 Properties fields should be corrected/filled:
- Short Title (page title, e.g Student Testimonials)
- Long Title (page title | section title, e.g. Student Testimonials | Profiles of Babson)
- Meta Description (sentence of 165 words maximum, e.g. Hear from our students about their experiences in the undergraduate program at Babson.)
- Owner (blank unless you know the owner)
- Babson Tags (e.g., Student Testimonials, Profiles, Undergraduate)
Click Save when you are done.
Now you are ready to edit your page content!