The safety of the students, community members and property is the utmost importance to the College. Students are encouraged to play an active role in fire prevention and security in their buildings. Violations of safety policies are considered serious and students should take extreme care to comply by all fire safety and security related policies. Students should never prop exterior doors, allow access to persons not familiar to them, share their OneCard, pull or force a door open and/or damage/tamper with any fire and life safety equipment.
Please report any unsafe or suspicious conditions immediately to Public Safety (x5555) or the Office of Residence Life (x4438).
View the Residence Hall Evacuation Plans.
Health and Safety Violations
As stated in the Undergraduate Catalogue and Handbook, Babson conducts health and safety inspections of all undergraduate residence halls during school breaks and on an as needed basis throughout the year. Administrative personnel from the Student Life Suite, Facilities Services and Public Safety partake in health and safety inspections and inform residents of any potential violations, issues or concerns. Please be aware, only issues in "plain view" will be addressed during the inspection periods.
The purpose of the inspection is to:
- Check all smoke detectors.
- Verify that electrical outlets are not overloaded.
- Identify appliances that do not comply with fire and life safety policies (see list below).
- Identify damage to the building, both in individual rooms and common areas for repair.
- Address any other situations that may present problems to the health or safety of students living on campus.
Even though the main purpose of the inspection is to ensure one's safety and assess the condition of each residence hall, staff will address any policy violation that is visible during the course of the inspection and will follow up with students on their return to campus. Items found that are prohibited by the Undergraduate Handbook will be confiscated and room occupants will be charged through the student conduct process.
Prohibited items include but are not limited to:
- Alcohol in rooms where the occupants are under the age of 21
- Illegal Drugs
- Drug Paraphernalia
- Lounge Furniture
- College Furniture not provided to the students for their individual use
- Halogen Lamps
- Toaster Ovens
- Hot Plates
- Candles (including those that have never been lit)
- Unauthorized Lofts
- Air Conditioners
- Space Heaters
- Electric Blankets
- Coil Immersion Heaters
- Other Heat Producing Appliances
- George Foreman Grills
- Rice Cookers
- Flammable Liquid
- Propane Tanks
- Fish Tanks Larger Than 5 Gallons
If you have any of the above items in your room, please remove them from the residence hall. For more information regarding the policies covering room searches and fire and life safety, please see the Babson College Undergraduate Handbook or call the Office of Residence Life at x4438.