The Externship Program, offered by the Undergraduate Center for Career Development, is a program designed primarily for first-year students at Babson.
An externship or job-shadowing experience generally lasts from one to five days, providing students with an opportunity to observe professionals on the job and gain an understanding of a career, industry, organization, or function in an intimate, focused, and informative environment. It also encourages students, alumni, and organizations to forge strong and valuable connections with each other in a shared experience.
The externship program is not for academic credit and students are not compensated, but the experience will be greatly beneficial to both the students and host.
“I did a one day externship at a non-profit in Michigan. I loved the short term experience where I could learn as much as possible in a day. The CEO was very inspiring and I learned many lessons from him.”
– Kelly Hoover '14
Benefits for Students
- Develop a more refined and realistic understanding of their career goals
- Shadow a professional in action and ask questions regarding processes, procedures, and functions
- Clarify questions that they might have about a particular field of interest
- Encourage networking and mentor relationships
- Question and test assumptions about a function or process
- Be more attuned to what they can expect in a possible career track
Benefit for Hosts
- No cost to alumni or organizations – Students provide their own housing and transportation and are NOT compensated for time spent with their hosting organizations.
- A great internship recruiting tool - An externship provides you with the opportunity to meet and identify candidates early in the recruiting process for summer internship opportunities.
- Exposure – Many students have misconceptions about career fields and organizations. They have no idea what a particular career job entails and they may have a passing understanding of most organizations outside of the name brands. An externship gives students the chance to develop a firsthand understanding and see for themselves what your organization is about.
- Giving back – A great way to give back to Babson College is with your time and experience. An externship provides you with an opportunity to make a nonmonetary contribution to the college.
For more information or to volunteer as an Externship host, please contact Arline MacCormack at 781-239-4003.