The Externship Program, offered by the Undergraduate Center for Career Development, is a program designed primarily for students in the for students in the exploration phase of their career development.
Spend one to five days, observing professionals on the job and gain an understanding of a career, industry, organization, or function.
“I did a one day externship at a non-profit in Michigan. I loved the short term experience where I could learn as much as possible in a day. The CEO was very inspiring and I learned many lessons from him.”
– Kelly Hoover '14
Student FAQ: Why Do an Internship?
- Develop a more refined and realistic understanding of your career goals
- Shadow a professional in action and ask questions regarding processes, procedures, and functions
- Clarify questions that they might have about a particular field of interest
- Encourage networking and mentor relationships
- Question and test assumptions about a function or process
- Be more attuned to what they can expect in a possible career track
Benefit for Hosts
- No cost to alumni or organizations – Students provide their own housing and transportation and are NOT compensated for time spent with their hosting organizations.
- A great internship recruiting tool - An externship provides you with the opportunity to meet and identify candidates early in the recruiting process for summer internship opportunities.
- Exposure – Many students have misconceptions about career fields and organizations. They have no idea what a particular career job entails and they may have a passing understanding of most organizations outside of the name brands. An externship gives students the chance to develop a firsthand understanding and see for themselves what your organization is about.
- Giving back – A great way to give back to Babson College is with your time and experience. An externship provides you with an opportunity to make a nonmonetary contribution to the college.
For more information or to volunteer as an Externship host, please contact Arline MacCormack at 781-239-4003.