BABSON‘S STEPHEN D. CUTLER CENTER FOR INVESTMENTS AND FINANCE CELEBRATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY
Ten years ago, Babson launched the Stephen D. Cutler Center for Investments and Finance (Cutler Center). The Cutler Center has undergone a significant transition since its opening as a physical space in the Horn Library.
“Today, its critical mission is to advance the understanding and practice of investing and finance in our global economy. If the recent financial crisis has taught us anything, it is the importance of understanding how global capital markets operate and just how interconnected Wall Street and Main Street really are,” said President Len Schlesinger.
Under the leadership of Mark D’Annolfo, Cutler Center Director; Michael Goldstein, Faculty Director; Kathy Hevert, Finance Division Chair; Rick Spillane, Chair, Cutler Center Advisory Board; and Jack Cahill, Manager, Cutler Center Research and Instructional Services; the award-winning Cutler Center:
- Expanded the Center’s offerings, and now has over 25 databases, including 12 Bloomberg terminals, 10 Factset seats, Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS), CapitalIQ, and Rotman Interactive Trader.
- Hosts the Research Seminar Series in which finance faculty at Babson and other institutions exchange research ideas and build relationships.
- Has five active student groups under its umbrella, including the Babson Investment Management Association (BIMA)--which plans to host over 15 speakers and a day-long investments conference this year.
- Expanded its outreach to include the Cutler Center Boston Speaker Series and numerous events on campus.
- Established partnerships with external professional organizations such as the CFO RoundTable and Boston Security Analyst Society, and internal organizations such as the Financial Services Alumni Affinity Group.
- Held workshops, programs and networking events for students and alumni.
- Maintained its superior performance, with the Babson College Fund (part of the Babson endowment) beating the S&P 500 over the last 3- and 5- year periods.
- Established a Cutler Center endowment, which will both add recurring revenue and provide donors with another option to give.
- Aided the Finance Division in being recognized as #2 in Financial Management among undergraduate business schools by Bloomberg Businessweek.
Celebrating its 10th Anniversary, the best is yet to come. The Cutler Center will be hosting numerous programs and speakers this year, including a Capital Raising panel, legendary bond investor Dan Fuss, and the Cutler Center BIMA investments conference. See the calendar for details on these and other upcoming events. The Cutler Center programs and initiatives are only possible through the generous support of our benefactors - notably Stephen Cutler M’61, who served on our Board of Trustees from 2001-2010 and Carlton (Carl) Kilmer M’69, P’09, who has been serving as a Babson Trustee since 2008,” said Schlesinger.