Building a Capability for Breakthrough Innovation: Executive Overview
An Action Plan for Innovation
Industries and companies are being disrupted by advances in science and technology. New competitors are threatening companies who have been around for decades and stockholder demands continue to intensify. Companies need to innovate beyond incremental new products to generate long-term revenue and organizational renewal that will keep companies healthy.
Building a Capability for Breakthrough Innovation: Executive Overview shows businesses how to set up an innovation function with a talent management system in order to generate a continuous flow of strategic innovation.
Learn Essential Skills
- Discover the necessary elements of a management system for strategic innovation and the three fundamental innovation capabilities: Discovery, Incubation, and Acceleration
- Understand the importance of an articulated strategic intent, and its differences from strategy, and test yours out in a safe environment
- Learn the key patterns of evolving and developing an innovation function, identify the current stage of maturity of your innovation system, diagnose the challenges facing you at this time, and prepare a plan for addressing those challenges
Who Should Attend
- Organizational leaders who desire to build a breakthrough innovation capability
- Managers of innovation and their teams
- Experienced innovation leaders who want to improve their group's effectiveness
- Must work at a company with $1B+ in revenue that is national or global
- Must be affiliated with or responsible for strategic innovation and can come from functional areas such as R&D, strategy, HR, organizational development, and strategic marketing, new business development
- Teams of three to five people are encouraged to attend
What You Will Learn
In this action-based program, you’ll develop the tools necessary to implement an innovation function in your company and immediately apply the concepts you learn back to your business.
- Priming your company for strategic innovation with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Identify your company’s strategic intent
- Take an innovation maturity assessment to get an idea of the strengths and gaps of your company’s management system for strategic innovation, which will help identify priority areas for improvement
- Understand the innovation roles needed for breakthrough innovation
- Learn how to evolve your company’s strategic innovation capability, including identifying red flags and land mines to avoid
- Develop an action plan for how to start an innovation function at your company
“Working with Babson Executive Education jump-started Lubrizol's approach to innovation and rapidly progressed key business development growth initiatives.” – James S. Puckace Sr. Director of New Business Development and Innovation, Lubrizol
You will be learning from faculty who have conducted more than 20 years of research on innovation in companies and are co-authors of the book, Beyond the Champion: Institutionalizing Innovation Through People.
- Gina O’Connor Professor of Innovation Management at Babson College
- Andrew Corbett Paul T. Babson Distinguished Professor of Entrepreneurial Studies and Entrepreneurship Division Chair at Babson College
All Babson Executive Education programs are taught in English. To attend, we ask that you can speak, read, and write English to get the most out of our programs.
Registration deadline for program: Summer 2020
The cost includes program materials, accommodations, and meals at the award-winning Babson Executive Conference Center from 4 p.m. Monday, the day before the program, to 11 a.m. on the last day, Wednesday. The program starts at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday and ends at 4 p.m. on Wednesday. There will be a follow-up webinar after the program to share experiences with peers and faculty on the implementation of your action plan and any challenges you may be facing. All participants receive a certificate of completion.
For more information about payment, accommodations, travel, and discounts, read our Babson Executive Education FAQ »
Discounts for Babson alumni are available through the Second-Century Alumni Grant. Discounts also are available for groups of three to five from the same company and past participants in Babson Executive Education open enrollment programs. Please email Dayle Lipsky for more information on discounts.
Why Babson Executive Education?
Babson Executive Education works with organizations and professionals around the world to turn ideas and challenges into opportunity. Babson cultivates an entrepreneurial mindset that is the basis for many of the world’s most innovative businesses and leaders.
Our programs are about more than theory; they’re about action, and equipping you with the practical tools and strategies necessary to have an immediate impact on your organization or business.
Contact Dayle Lipsky or call +1-781-239-3915