Growing a Business and Family Across Generations
Discover the power of entrepreneurship to advance family businesses.
Babson College has long been at the forefront of educating entrepreneurial families, and recent research by Babson’s Institute for Family Entrepreneurship has identified that meaningful change in any family business requires a multifaceted approach driven by entrepreneurial leaders.
Through Growing a Business and Family Across Generations, you will discover how thinking and acting entrepreneurially as a family, leader, and business will enable your organization to achieve continued growth through this highly interactive program.
Learn Essential Skills
- Embrace an entrepreneurial mindset in order to capture new opportunities for the business and adapt to changes over time and across generations
- Learn how members of the family and employees of the business can be effective leaders who demonstrate emotional intelligence and social awareness, in order to motivate teams
- Address new venture creation and innovation within an established family business structure
Who Should Attend
- Current and future leaders/owners, including nonfamily executives or directors of successful family enterprises
- Family leaders in business-owning families, such as chairs of family councils or family foundations
What You Will Learn
Grounded in cutting-edge research from Babson’s Institute for Family Entrepreneurship, explore strategies and participate in hands-on, practical exercises to learn how to grow your business, advance your family, and develop your employees. Specifically, learn:
- An introduction to Babson’s signature approach to entrepreneurship—Entrepreneurial Thought & Action®—along with specific tools for how to apply this approach to a family business setting
- Best practices and tools in family entrepreneurship based on cutting edge research at Babson focused on how the most successful business families across the globe are able to keep the family together while maintaining success in the business as well
- Strategies for developing resonant leadership in the context of family leadership
- Methods, case studies and practical exercises for improving family functioning as a family unit by understanding individual family member motivations, based on new research
- How governance can be used to encourage and support entrepreneurship and growth of the business across generations
- Research-based insights about succeeding through continuous change at the individual, team and organizational level within your family business
- How emotional and social competence is essential to growing and retaining talent, preparing future leaders, and responding effectively to key stakeholders in your business
- A plan for handling uncertainty in your business and not derailing the goals of the business or family when the unexpected happens
Who Should Enroll
Current and future leaders/owners, including nonfamily executives or directors of successful family enterprises, and family leaders in business-owning families, such as chairs of family councils or family foundations. Multiple participants from a single family business are strongly encouraged to attend.
Your Faculty Directors
Matt Allen, Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship
The faculty director of Babson's Institute for Family Entrepreneurship, Associate Professor Matt Allen's expertise is in the effective management of human capital within entrepreneurial environments, especially family enterprise, where he has played a key role in Babson research efforts as the academic director for the STEP (Successful Transgenerational Entrepreneurship Practices) Project. He has been involved in executive education programs for students from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Korea, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay.
Learn more about Associate Professor Allen»
Scott Taylor, Associate Professor of Organizational Behavior
Associate Professor Scott Taylor's primary research focus is leader assessment and development. He enjoys studying the various methods organizations use to assess and develop their leaders, evaluating the effectiveness of these methods, and developing new methods and technologies to improve leader assessment and development. Taylor has taught in Babson Executive Education custom programs for organizations that include EMC, FLIR Systems, MCAA, MilliporeSigma, National Football League, Siemens, and Veolia.
Learn more about Professor Taylor»
This program will take place at Babson Dubai, located at The Academy at DIFC, at the Dubai International Financial Centre. The cost includes program materials and meals.
All participants receive a certificate of completion.
Each session has a limited number of participants to preserve the intimacy and collegiality of the experience. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Read about discounts for Babson alumni with the Second-Century Alumni Grant.
For more information, including available discounts, email Dayle Lipsky or call +1-781-239-3915