- Ph D, Northeastern University
- MA, New England Conservatory of Music
- JD, Georgetown University
- BS, Georgetown University
Academic Interest / ExpertiseCreativity and Innovation; Arts and Culture; Intellectual Property; Privacy; Technology; Human and Civil Rights; Feminist/Critical Race/Queer/Class Theory; Law and Society
Awards & Honors
- Lester, T. (2019). Questions of Trust, Betrayal and Authorial Control in The Avant Garde: The Case of Julius Eastman and John Cage. Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review.
- Lester, T., Pachamanova, D. (2017). The Dilemma of False Positives: Making Content ID Algorithms More Conducive to Fostering Innovative Fair Use in Music Creation. UCLA Entertainment Law Review. link
- Lester, T. (2016). Will the Cultural Defense Make A Difference in Celebrity and Sports Endorsement Contract Disputes. Pace Intellectual Property, Sports & Entertainment Law Forum.
- Lester, T. (2015). Oprah, Beyoncé, and The Girls who “Run the World” – Are Black Female Cultural Producers Gaining Ground in Intellectual Property Law. Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law.
- Lester, T. (2014). Blurred Lines - Where Copyright Ends and Cultural Appropriation Begins - The Case of Robin Thicke Versus Bridgeport Music and the Estate of Marvin Gaye. Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal. link
- Lester, T. (2012). Machismo at the Crossroads - Recent Developments in Latin American Gay Rights Law. Michigan State International Law Review. link
- Lester, T. (2008). Negotiating The Divide Between Religious Belief and Tolerance for LGBT Rights (Special Journal Volume on Religion). Duke Journal of Gender Law & Policy. link
- Lester, T. (2006). Adam and Steve v. Adam and Eve - Will The New Supreme Court Grant Gays The Right To Marry. American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy and The Law. link
- Lester, T. (2005). Context, Contention and The Constitution - Riding The Waves Of The Affirmative Action Debate. Suffolk Law Review.
- Lester, T. (2004). Queering The Office. University of Missouri Law Review .
- Lester, T. (1999). Protecting The Gender Nonconformist From The Gender Police. New Mexico Law Review.
- Lester, T. (2002). Gender Nonconformity, Race and Sexuality - Charting the Connections. University of Wisconsin Press. link
- Lester, T., Pachamanova, D. (2019). Content-ID-Algorithmen und das Dilemma der falschen Treffer : 100 Jahre Copyright ("100 Years of Copyright) (Part of "100 Years of Now" Book Series). Matthes & Seitz (Haus der Kulturen der Welt - Museum of Culture - Berlin, Germany). link
- Lester, T. (2007). Harassment, Retaliation and Relief: Sexual Orientation Discrimination - An International Perspective (eds. M. V. Badgett and Jefferson Frank). Routledge.
- Lester, T. (2017). Scandal Surrounding Kevin Spacey, Netflix, and Morals Clauses in Celebrity Contracts. Babson College Leadership Blog. link
- Lester, T. (2016). Comments on Latest 'Sorry' Copyright Lawsuit against Justin Bieber. Babson College Leadership Blog. link
- Lester, T. (2015). Marvin Gaye Verdict: 'Vibe" of Song as Important as Melody. Babson College Leadership Blog. link
- Lester, T. (2015). Toni Lester on Robin Thicke, Innovation, Cultural Appropriation, and Copyright Theft. Babson College Leadership Blog. link
- Lester, T., Noyes, E. (2012). Babson Professors Pose Two Questions To Music Entrepreneurs: Babson College Leadership Blog. Babson College Leadership Blog. link