What is an internship?
An internship is a student and organization partnership that provides a relationship, hands-on training, and career awareness. Internships represent exploration, exposure, ability to practice and learn new skills, and perhaps most importantly, hold the potential for employment.
Summer Intern Sponsorship Program
The Undergraduate Center for Career Development understands how important the internship experience can be to a student’s career decision making process. We aim to make it possible for students to engage in internships, whether paid or unpaid, to explore their skills on the job. We are proud to offer three award opportunities for students who accept internships that may otherwise cause financial hardship.
Available Awards and Requirements:
Sponsorship Award: $3,000
Available to students exhibiting financial need to participate in Full-time internship opportunities which are unpaid or provide extremely minimal compensation and requires additional expenses. The award is presented with the expectations of: 300 internship hours, Internship Blog, and Program Participation; student and employer evaluation at internship conclusion.
Support Award: $2,000
Available to students exhibiting financial need to participate in internship opportunities which are unpaid or provide minimal compensation. The award is presented with the following expectations: 200 internship hours, Internship Blog, and Program Participation; student and employer evaluation at internship conclusion.
Assistance Award: $1,000
Available to students exhibiting financial need to participate in a paid or unpaid experience in a location with a high cost of living or requiring extensive travel. The award is presented with the following expectations: 100 internship hours, Internship Blog, and Program Participation; student and employer evaluation at internship conclusion.
To be eligible for a Babson Summer Intern Sponsorship Award, you must meet these requirements:
- Be a matriculated full-time current First Year, Sophomore or Junior.
- Be in good standing with Babson College.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Have accepted or received a commitment offer for a specific internship on or before the application deadline.
- Previous recipients of the award who did not satisfactorily complete the required assignments are not eligible to re-apply for this award.
- Internships shall not take place at Babson College. No research projects or work under any department at the undergraduate or graduate campuses will be funded.
- Internship must be unpaid or low-paid (< or = $15.00/ hour).
- Virtual/independent and unsupervised internships will not be considered.
- Internship must be for a minimum of 20 hours per week and at least 6 weeks in duration.
- Host organizations cannot be owned or run by a member of the intern’s immediate family.
- Supervisor MAY NOT be a family member.
- Internship must be done through ONE sponsor and must be supervised by someone at the site.
- Internship may not be part of an academic program for which the student is receiving credit.
- Internships offered as part of program through a third party/fee for service provider are not eligible.
The Committee will review all application materials and make awards based on the students’ application, exhibited financial need, and the merits of the internship opportunity.
Corporate Sponsor application Deadline:
See Hub for Application instructions.
Summer Internship Timeline
It’s Fall...Get Ready!
- Attend Career Expo (September)
- Start industry and company research
- Compile your target company list with potential contacts to reach out to for informational interviews
- Attend Career Development workshops, visit Handshake and update your account
- Build a resume and cover letter
- Meet with a Career Advisor for feedback
- Upload your documents to Handshake. Begin applying!
Winter Break...Get Set!
Network with alumni and potential employers; conduct informational interviews
Attend the Internship Fair (February)
Attend Career Development events; check Handshake to find internship listings and events
Apply for positions!