J-1 Academic Training
Academic Training (AT) is a temporary period of part or full-time, paid or unpaid employment that is directly related to a student’s field of study. This employment may take place when school is in session, during vacation periods, or after completion of a program of study.
To be eligible for AT you must:
- Be enrolled full-time
- Be in good academic standing
- Obtain a specific offer of employment that is directly related to your field of study
- Be recommended by your Academic Advisor for specific training
- The maximum period of AT that can be authorized is 18 months, but it cannot be longer than the total length of your program of academic study (i.e. if you are enrolled in a 4 month program you will be eligible for a 4 month period of AT).
- AT must be authorized no later than the program end date on your Form DS-2019; and your start date must be within the 30 days after completion of program.
- AT must be approved by both your Academic Advisor and your International Student Advisor (ISA).
- AT is counted at a full-time rate regardless of whether it is full or part-time.
- Earning more than one degree does not increase your time eligibility for AT.
- If using AT after the completion of your program:
- You must show documentation that you have sufficient funds to cover your housing, food and personal expenses for the additional time period before AT will be authorized.
- You are responsible for maintaining the required health insurance for J-1 Exchange Visitors for yourself and any J-2 dependents during your AT.
Social Security Number
A Social Security number is a unique identification number assigned by the U.S. federal government required for those who are employed in the United States. If you do not already have a Social Security number, you must obtain one. For more information please review Obtaining a Social Security Number.
You must be approved for Academic Training BEFORE you begin employment. For Pre-completion AT you must apply at least one week before you intend to begin your employment. For Post-completion AT you must apply at least one week before your program end date on your Form DS-2019.
Must be on employer letterhead, be signed by your training supervisor and include:
- Name and address of the employer
- Name and title of the Supervisor
- Exact start and end date of the job
- Hours per week
- Amount of compensation (if unpaid, the letter should state this)
- Description of responsibilities/duties
- Complete Section I of the J-1 Academic Training Advisor Recommendation (pdf)
- Give the form, along with a copy of your employer letter, to your Academic Advisor and ask her/him to complete Section II
Call 781-239-4565 to schedule a 30-minute Academic Training appointment at least one day in advance
- Job offer letter
- Completed and signed Academic Training Advisor Recommendation form
- Printed I-94 (arrival/departure record)
For post-completion AT only, bring:
- J-1 Insurance Verification Form (available from the Glavin Office)
- Documentation of Financial Support for additional living expenses. If compensation from you job is not enough, provide a bank statement and/or support letter. The Glavin Office can provide an estimate of living expenses
If approved, the Glavin Office will issue a new Form DS-2019 and a letter authorizing Academic Training for the specific training described on the Academic Advisor Recommendation