Returning after Separation

Students who have been on a leave of absence or who separated from the college may be eligible to return to Babson College in F-1/J-1 status after they have been readmitted.

To inquire about return to studies at Babson College and/or to request a new Form I-20 or DS-2019 from Babson College, please email  You will be required to provide evidence of funding and other documents to complete this request.

SEVIS Fee and Visa

You are required to pay the SEVIS Fee again in order to return to the United States. You can do so on: When paying the fee, make certain to provide the SEVIS ID number of the newly issued I-20/DS-2019.

If you have been outside the U.S. for more than five months, U.S. State Department regulations require that you apply for a new F-1/J-1 entry visa even if your current F-1/J-1 entry visa has not expired.  Details can be found online at:

Entry at the U.S. Border

The SEVIS record of a student with a termination event is marked by a red flag which will result in additional scrutiny at the U.S. Port of Entry. The Customs and Border Protection Officer is likely to subject you to secondary inspection, where another officer will review your immigration documents and your eligibility to enter the US in F-1/J-1 status. The process can take up to several hours. Consider this extra delay when planning your travel into the U.S. Once you arrive to campus, inform OISSS that you were subject to secondary inspection and we will request that the red flag be removed from your record. OISSS can facilitate this request only after you have arrived to the U.S. If the red-flag removal is successful, you should not subject to secondary inspection again for this reason.

Employment Eligibility

After entering the U.S. in initial student status, you must be enrolled in full-time studies for one academic year (two semesters) before becoming eligible for F-1 employment benefits such as Optional Practical Training (pdf) or Curricular Practical Training (Graduate) pdfCurricular Practical Training (Undergraduate) pdf or J-1 employment benefits such as Academic Training (pdf).