Roger Ward Babson
Roger Ward Babson (1875--1967), founder of Babson College, had many careers and interests, including being a columnist and speaker. He was a prolific writer who published more than fifty books. His writings range from the fundamentals of business to a tourist guide to Cape Anne to the importance of religion in daily life. Most of these books are available in the Babson Collection which is housed on the second floor of the Horn Library. The Babson College Archives has produced a biographical sketch of Mr. Babson.
There are a few sources on the life and times of Roger Babson. These can be found in the library collection. The best examples include:
- Actions and Reactions.
HA23.B3 A3 1950. Babson Collection.
- In 1935, at the age of 60, Mr. Babson wrote his autobiography. In this volume he describes his life and work and summarizes his personal philosophy. Fifteen years later he revised the book by adding chapters which take the reader to his 74th year. This is the basic resource for information on Mr. Babson. The Babson College Archives has made this revised edition available through the following links. The first link includes the title page, table of contents, preface, and index. The chapters follow grouped in threes. There are illustrations at the end.
Chapters 34-35 and Addenda
Illustrations Pages 1-6
Illustrations Pages 7-13
Illustrations Pages 14-21
Illustrations Pages 22-29
- Roger W. Babson, A Reminiscence.
HA23.B3 K4X. Stacks and Reserve.
- Roger W. Babson is fondly remembered by friends Paul B. Kenyon and Philip S. Weld in this slender 1982 volume.
- "Roger W. Babson and his Major Contemporaries."
- Roger Babson's forecasting methodology is examined in the context of the work of other analysts of his day in former Babson Accounting Professor Horace Given's 1975 New York University Ph. D. Dissertation.
- Yankee Genius: A Biography of Roger W. Babson.
HB3730 .S5 1954. Stacks.
- Long-time Babson associate, and Babson Institute graduate, Earl Smith edited Mr. Babson's autobiography to produce this 1954 volume.
- Good Man Gone Wrong? Roger Babson and the Church.
BX7260.B115 S5 1940. Babson Collection.
- Roger Babson's experiences as a national church moderator are discussed in Harry Shumway's book.
- Easy Street
- HF5386.B18 1930 Babson Collection
- Mr. Babson shares a story of a man and his road to "Easy Street." Available both in the Babson Collection and as a PDF.
HB3711.B3 1932. Babson Collection.
Roger Babson's thoughts during the depths of the "Great Depression" are available in the Babson Collection or by PDF.