The Babson community remembers, reflects upon, and celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This annual event initiates and continues conversations about the realization of King's vision of justice, equality, and peace in our own community and in the world at large.
11th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Legacy Day
Thursday, February 27, 2014
Learn more »
Keynote Speaker: Angela Davis
The Martin Luther King Jr. Legacy Day Committee is thrilled to announce that Angela Davis will be our keynote speaker on Babson’s Martin Luther King Jr. Legacy Day, February 27, 2014, which will be devoted to the theme Globalization and the Prison Industrial Complex.
Through her activism and scholarship over the last decades, Angela Davis has been deeply involved in the quest for social justice. Her work as an educator, both at the university level and in the larger public sphere, has always emphasized the importance of building communities of struggle for economic, racial, and gender justice. She has authored numerous books including:
- Angela Davis: An Autobiography
- Women, Race, & Class
- Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude “Ma” Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
- The Angela Y. Davis Reader
- Are Prisons Obsolete?
- Abolition Democracy: Beyond Prison, Torture and Empire
- Women, Culture & Politics
- Beyond the Frame: Women of Color and Visual Representation (Neferti X. M. Tadiar and Angela Davis)
- The Meaning of Freedom: And Other Difficult Dialogues (Angela Davis and Robin Kelley)
- If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance (various authors) a new edition of The Life of Frederick Douglass
Free Angela and All Political Prisoners
Produced by Jada Pinkett Smith, Will Smith, and Jay-Z, among others, created by Shola Lynch
Congratulations to the Winners of the Creativity Contest
In honor of this year’s keynote speaker, Angela Davis, we invited all current undergraduate and graduate students to participate in a creativity contest. The theme for the 2014 Legacy Day contest is Globalization and the Prison Industrial Complex. Learn more (pdf) »
View photos from past Martin Luther King Jr. Legacy Day celebrations »