Skip Navigation LinksHome / Admission / International Students / Living in the U.S. / Driver's License and State ID


The following is an overview. Detailed information including a listing of fees, and a complete driver’s manual can be found on the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) website:

International Driving Permit

Depending on the country, you may be able to use your valid home country driver's license to drive in Massachusetts temporarily. If your home country's license is not issued in English, you are required to also have an International Driving Permit (you must obtain this in your home country before traveling to the U.S). The International Driving Permit is valid only for one year from your date of entry into the U.S. For detailed information:

Obtaining a Massachusetts State Driver's License

Note: the following it standard guidance. If you currently possess an out-of state permit or license from the U.S., Canada, Mexico the required documents and application process is different. Please visit for details.

1. Gather Required Identity/Signature/Residency Documents (list of all options:

We suggest: 

  • Social Security Number (SSN) Card or SSN Denial Letter issued within the past 30 days
  • Consult with the Glavin Office on SSN eligibility and application process I-94 Arrival/Departure record (printed from 
  • Valid passport Form I-20 (F status) or Form DS-2019 (J status) 
  • Current driver’s license from your home country and/or international driver’s license 
  • One additional document proving Massachusetts residency: 
    • If you live on-campus, request a Proof of Residency Letter from (under Requests & Forms); 
    • If you live off-campus, provide your rental lease agreement, a bank statement, or a utility (gas/electric/water) bill with your name and address listed.

2. Pass the Written and Vision Exam to get a Driver’s Permit 

  • Visit a full-service RMV branch: We recommend the Watertown Branch, inside the Watertown Mall, 550 Arsenal St. Watertown, MA 
  • Hours, Phone and directions: 
  • Check in at the registration desk upon arrival 
  • Bring required documentation (see step 1). 

Note: a driver’s permit is NOT a driver’s license. If you have never had a license, you are advised to enroll in a driver’s education program.

3. Pass the Driving Exam to get a Driver’s License 

Once issued a Driver’s Permit, Call the RMV at 1-866-627-7768 to schedule a driving exam. They will need information from your Driver’s Permit. You will be given the location of your driving exam and instructed on what documents to bring. 


For those who do not drive, the Massachusetts RMV can issue one of two other official identification cards. The Massachusetts I.D. and Massachusetts Liquor I.D. look similar to a drivers’ license but they DO NOT extend any driving privileges. To obtain one of these I.D.s, follow steps 1-2 above. Some bars and restaurants only accept a Massachusetts Liquor I.D. (not the standard Massachusetts I.D.) as proof of age for purchasing alcohol.

Buying a Car 

Owning a car is expensive and maintaining a car (especially if pre-owned/used) may be a constant financial burden. Before buying a used car, you should have a qualified mechanic examine the car. Massachusetts has a Buyer's Right to Return Law (“lemon law”) that allows the buyer of a used car to return it for a full refund under certain conditions.

There are two options when purchasing a car, through a licensed car dealership or privately (from the previous owner). A dealership may provide more security and assistance with financing and with registering the car. Note: a dealership will not provide financing if you do not have a Social Security number (SSN).

Suggested Steps When Purchasing a Car: 

  1. Ensure you have a valid driver's license.
  2. Choose the car (new or used, dealership vs. private, financing or not) Purchase car insurance (you may pay a higher fee if you don’t have a U.S. driver’s license) 
  3. Register the car with the Massachusetts RMV; you will need a driver’s license or a SSN; and proof of car insurance 
  4. Complete all paperwork to purchase the car.

Insurance & Registration

Car insurance is REQUIRED. Rates vary based on: type of coverage, where you live, type/age of the car and age of the driver. Car Insurance rates may also be higher if you have received speeding tickets and or been involved in car accident in the past. Most insurance companies will not insure you if you do not have a valid U.S. driver’s license. Some do so, but at a much higher rate.

If you buy a car, you are REQUIRED to register it with the State of Massachusetts. To do so, provide proof of car insurance, the bill of sale, and the certificate of ownership (the "title") to the RMV.

Inspection & Taxes

You must have your car inspected within 7 days of registering it. Certain gas stations can inspect your car for the required safety features. The insurance agent can give you a list of garages which will inspect your car. You can also find a list on the RMV website.

Remember, many car expenses will be annual expenses. Each year you will have to insure your car, have your car inspected, and pay "excise tax" on the value of your car. The town in which you keep your car will notify you of the amount of excise tax you owe each year.


Many Boston-area streets require a parking permit that can be obtained only if your car is registered in that town. Some towns do not allow overnight street parking and/or limit daytime street parking to two hours. Some towns prohibit parking on certain street cleaning days. 

During the winter months, snow emergencies may be declared and parking will be prohibited on many streets. Carefully read all signage before parking. If you violate parking rules or allow a parking meter to expire, you will receive a parking ticket and your car could be towed. Parking tickets must be paid or penalties will be assessed.

Rental Cars & ZipCar© 

In order to rent a car in the Boston area you must have a valid driver's license, a major credit card, and be at least 25 years old. Some companies will rent to drivers under the age of 25, but at a higher rate.

ZipCar provides another alternative for occasional use of a car for less than 24 hours. It provides cars for rent at a much lower price than a regular rental. Two ZipCars are available on campus. To join, you pay a membership fee, make a security deposit, and choose a trial or permanent plan. It is then possible to have use of a car for several hours to shop, sightsee, etc. For more information, visit: and ​​