A standard form of Liability Release (also known as a Waiver or a Release) is a form of Risk Management. It protects the College against claims and legal actions for most voluntary trips and activities. Specialized Releases are also required for all international activities, which may include study abroad, interships or field trips.
Liability Release Templates
- Standard Liability Release
- To be used with Adobe Sign Software
- To be used with live signatures
Guidelines for use of a Liability Release (Waivers)
What A Release Does:
Releases provide, among other things, that the Signor (person signing the Release):
- assumes all risks from a specified activity;
- waives the right to sue the College and recover damages in the event of injury or death;
- waives the right to recover from the College in the event of loss or damage to personal property; ; and
- agrees to indemnify the College (that is, to compensate the College) against loss if they cause harm.
When A Release is Required:
A Release is required if the activity is voluntary (not required as part of a curriculum or job responsibility) and involves risk of injury, death, or loss of personal property (including athletic and recreational activities) or involves international travel.
How to Implement a Release:
A Release, when implemented properly, can be an effective tool for transferring risk to the party in the best position to manage the risk.
- A Release should be specific to the event date(s), description of the event, and risks that are unique to the event.
- Advise participants that a Release is required when the event is announced; and, provide a copy of the completed Release for their review.
- Secure a signed Release at least 3 days in advance of the event (14 days if international travel is involved.
- Use Adobe Sign software to initiate and have Releases signed if signor(s) have a Babson.edu email address.
- Signors who do not have a Babson.edu email address, MUST print and sign a paper Release. The Signor MUST return to the College the Release with the original signature. Email and fax copies of the signature are not acceptable.
Where to Archive Signed Releases:
- The Adobe Sign Software will provide a certified copy of the signed Release to the Signor, Risk Management, and the Release Manager (Babson employee who initiated the Release).
- The Release Manager will send the original signed Release(s) – those that are not managed through the Adobe Sign software - to Risk Management to be archived.
- Signors are encouraged to maintain copies of the Releases they sign.
- The Release Manager and Risk Management will archive and maintain copies of the signed Releases for a minimum of 7 years from the date of the event.