Business and Financial Services
Financial Services develops systems, policies and procedures for the efficient and effective management of the College's financial resources and ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
We are committed to providing a safe and ethical workplace for all members of the Babson community. To learn more, read our Whistleblower Policy
. The Purchasing Department, while a separate office, is integral to the financial process and is therefore included in this overview.
Babson College Financial Facts
- The College's endowment value as of June 30, 2012 was $239.5M, a slight decline from $243.3M at June 30, 2011
- The total investment return on the endowment for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012 was flat as compared with a return of 19.4% at June 30, 2011
- Contribution and grant revenues for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012 were $22M, as compared to $23.9M at June 30, 2011
- Bonds outstanding (both taxable and tax-exempt) as of June 30, 2012 and June 30, 2011 amounted to $111M and $114.8M, respectively
- Total net assets as of June 30, 2012 and June 30, 2011 were $302.9M and $298.7M, respectively.
Standard Mileage Rate
Effective January 1, 2013, the IRS standard mileage rate has increased to 56.5 cents/mile.
The old rate of 55.5 cents/mile for computing personal car business mileage expense should continue to be used for all miles driven prior to January 1, 2013.
Required Documentation for Mileage Reimbursement
When submitting an expense report for mileage reimbursement, our policy requires the traveler to verify all mileage by attaching an on-line mileage reporting printout (i.e. Google Map, MapQuest) that displays an accurate beginning/ending address and corresponding mileage totals which should equal the requested reimbursement amount. The Accounts Payable office will not process reimbursements for mileage without this important backup documentation.
Should you have any questions, please contact our office at ext. 4206.
The Accounts Payable Staff
Policy on Appropriate Use of Funds