The STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) OPT Extension is a 24-month period of temporary training available to F-1 international students who have completed a degree program in an approved STEM field.
Babson’s Master of Science in Finance (MSF) is a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) designated program. This classification allows international MSF graduates on an F-1 visa to apply for an additional 24 months of training in their field of study (called Optional Practical Training or OPT) beyond the standard 12 months.
Eligible F-1 nonimmigrant students with a STEM degree from a Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified U.S. school who participate in an initial period of regular post-completion OPT (typically 12 months) may be eligible to apply for a STEM OPT extension.
Eligibility for Babson Students
To qualify for a 24-month STEM OPT extension, an F-1 student must:
- Have completed a degree in an eligible STEM field from an SEVP certified U.S. school.
- Maintained lawful F-1 status during the standard 12 month period of OPT.
- Have employment through an employer enrolled in USCIS's E-Verifyemployment eligibility verification program.
- Work with the employer to complete a formal training (I-983) and learning objectives.
- Be employed at least 20 hours per week in a position directly related to the STEM degree.