About Summer Venture Program
The Summer Venture Program is a 10-week intensive designed to accelerate the development of student entrepreneurial ventures. Entrepreneurs are provided work space, professional advisors, expert speakers, various other resources, and a Summer Venture Showcase at the end of the program with investors, service providers, members of the Babson and local startup communities in attendance. Teams are hand-chosen based on a written application, interviews, and their ability to make the best use of the SVP community and resources. The Summer Venture Program takes place in a downtown Boston workspace in order to maximize connections.
- Student applicants must be currently enrolled at Babson/Olin Engineering/Wellesley College.
- All student applicants looking to apply to the Summer Venture Program must be in good disciplinary standing with Babson College and the community. The Blank Center staff reserves the right to request information from the Office of Community Standards to confirm that this is the case and may disqualify any applicant who does not meet this requirement.
- Applicants must be able to commit full time effort to their venture and the SVP Community during the 10 weeks. Participants must be present for all core work hours: Monday - Thursday, 12:30-4:30pm in the SVP Boston location.
- Applicants must have a viable business concept that has potential to make significant progress during a 10 week summer intensive.
- Applicants must be able to attend all weekly meetings (team updates, lunch and learn, Hot Seat, advisor meetings and other sessions).
- Applicants must prepare for, and participate in, Summer Venture Showcase at the end of the program.
- Upon acceptance, applicants must agree to sign and abide to a binding participant agreement that confirms that the resources being provided are contingent upon the applicant's commitment to the SVP Community and active, full-length participation in the program by every member of the team. The SVP Director has the right to dismiss a team from the program at any time if the team is not meeting the requirements in the signed commitment of participation.
2018 Summer Venture Program Key Dates
- Monday, February 5 at 5pm EST in Olin 101 (tentative): Summer Venture Program info session 1
- Friday, February 23 at 12pm EST: Early application deadline
- Friday, March 2: Early application notification (by end of day)
- Tuesday, March 6 at 1pm EST in Reynolds 241 (tentative): Summer Venture Program info session 2
- Friday, March 9: Early application interviews (by invitation)
- Friday, March 16: Early application final notification (by end of day)
- Friday, March 30 at 12pm EST: Regular application deadline
- Friday, April 6: Regular application notification (by end of day)
- Friday, April 13: Regular application interviews (by invitation)
- Friday, April 20: Regular application final notification (by end of day)
Monday, April 30 at 5pm EST: Meet-n-greet (accepted applicants and SVP alumni)
- Monday, May 21: Move-in
- Monday, May 21: Orientation
- Tuesday, May 22: Program start
- Thursday, July 26: Summer Venture Showcase Wellesley
- Friday, July 27: Program end
- Saturday, July 28: Move-out
Do you want to apply to the Summer Venture Program? Engaging in employment (including self-employment and some entrepreneurial activities) without specific authorization is a serious violation of F-1 student/J-1 exchange visitor immigration status. While many entrepreneurial activities (such as research, feasibility studies, and business planning) are permissible, activities that directly result in income generation are not allowed without the proper authorization. Babson strongly advises all international students to seek independent professional legal advice from an attorney who practices immigration law exclusively (in addition to any other legal counsel) to avoid accidentally engaging in unlawful activities. Contact the
Glavin Office of Multicultural & International Education for information about immigration attorneys and for work authorization guidelines.