- Ph D, Johns Hopkins University
- MA, University of Wisconsin
- BA, Bowling Green State University
Academic Interest / ExpertiseBusiness History
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2020
- HIS 4610 SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY MALAYSIA&THAILAND
Degree Courses 2019
- HIS 4670 THE HISTORY AND ETHICS OF CAPITALISM
- HIS 4610 SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN THAILAND & LAOS
- Hoopes, J.E. (2019). The Business Family as the Business Model of Our Time. International Journal of Family Business Practice. Vol: 1, Issue: 1, Page: 6. President University. link
- Prayukvong, W., Hoopes, J. (2018). A Buddhist Economics Approach to Innovation and Capacity Building: The Case of Siam Hands. Society and Economy in Central and Eastern Europe. Vol: 40, Issue: 4, Page: 553-570. Corvinus University of Budapest. link
- Hoopes, J., Zeldin, T. (2018). Historians Discuss the Contemporary Workplace. Problemy Zarzadzania. Vol: 15, Issue: 2, Page: 25-32. University of Warsaw. link
- Hoopes, J. (2018). Business Leadership and Its Ethics -- Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. Problemy Zarzadzania. Vol: 15, Issue: 2, Page: 19-24. University of Warsaw. link
- Yusof, M., Nor, L.M., James, H.E. (2014). Virtuous CSR: an Islamic family business in Malaysia. Journal of Family Business Management. Vol: 4, Issue: 2, Page: 133-148. Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2003). Managerialism: Its History and Dangers. Historically Speaking.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2008). Hail to the CEO: The Failure of George W. Bush and the Cult of Moral Leadership. Praeger.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2003). False Prophets: The Gurus Who Created Modern Management and Why Their Ideas Are Bad for Business Today. Basic Books.
Cases and Teaching Notes
- Hoopes, J., Nor, L.M., Yusof, M. (2019). How to Use Virtue in Business. Babson Collection. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2005). Growth through Knowledge: Wal*Mart, High Technology, and the Ever Less Visible Hand of the Manager: Wal*Mart: Face of 21st-Century Capitalism. New Press.
- Prayukvong, W., Takagi, I., Hoopes, J.E. (2017). Clair Brown, Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science. Vol: 49, Page: 411-412. Social Choice and Welfare. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2013). Review of "What’s Good for Business: Business and American Politics since World War II" by Phillips-Fein and Zelizer: Journal of American History. Vol: 100, Issue: 2. Oxford University Press.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2016). Higher Education as a Community Builder in the United States: A Model for the ASEAN Community?. Issue: 28. AEI Occasional Papers . link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2012). Corporate Dreams - synopsis of book, serialized in 7 weekly installments at CSR Wire . CSRwire.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2012). Let’s Stop Using CSR to “Rebuild Trust”: CSRwire. 3BL Media. link
- Hoopes, J.E. (2011). Corporate Dreams: Big Business in American Democracy from the Great Depression to the Great Recession. Rutgers University Press .
- Hoopes, J.E. (2008). Leaders Should Manage FOR Values: Chief Executive Magazine.
- Hoopes, J.E. (2004). The De-Humanized Employee: IT’s Dark Side: CIO (Chief Information Officer) Magazine.