The Finance concentration requires the successful completion of SME 2021 Principles of Finance and a minimum of 4 Finance courses with a FIN designation at the 3000 level and above or a minimum of 16 credits.
FIN 2520 Personal Finance, FIN 3511 Residential Real Estate, FIN 3512 Real Estate Transactions and Law, and MCFE (Management Consulting Field Experience) do NOT count towards the finance concentration. No more than 4 credits can be used towards the Finance concentration from FIN 3555 Real Estate Investment and FIN 3564 Real Estate Development, if taken after the Fall 2017 semester. Independent Studies approved by Finance faculty may count towards the concentration with the approval of the Chair of Finance Division.
Sponsored by: Finance Division
Faculty Contact: Richard Bliss
Faculty contacts serve as advisers to those students who have an interest in the given concentration. You should feel free to contact these faculty with questions.
If you plan to study abroad: A minimum of 4 Finance courses with a FIN designation at the 3000 level and above or a minimum of 16 credits may be used to satisfy a Babson Finance Concentration. FIN5550 courses applied to a transcript from off campus institutions count as 3000 level Finance courses. These courses must be approved through the Glavin Office of International and Multicultural Programs in advance. All other concentration courses must be taken at Babson.
3000 Level Courses
- FIN 3515 Corporate Financial Management
- FIN 3520 Security Valuation
- FIN 3535 Finance and Valuing Sustainability
- FIN 3555 Real Estate Investment*
- FIN 3560 Financial Markets and Instruments
- FIN 3565 Real Estate Development*
4000 Level Courses
- FIN 4505 Financial Trading Strategies and Risk Management
- FIN 4510 Corp. Finance Modeling & Decision Making Tools
- FIN 4520/4521 Babson College Fund
- FIN 4530 Investments
- FIN 4535 Fixed Income and Structured Products
- FIN 4540 Corporate Financial Strategy
- FIN 4560 Options & Futures
- FIN 4570 Global Financial Management
- FIN 4571 Real Estate Finance and Advanced Modeling
* You can only use one of these Real Estate courses towards 16 credits required for the Finance concentration unless both were taken before the Fall 2017 semester.
Guidance about Course Planning and Sequencing
Students interested in Finance should consult the Undergraduate Finance Learning Paths.
Though the concentration in finance requires four courses, many prospective employers expect students to take a broad array of finance courses that will exceed this number.
Students who want to take finance to augment a concentration in another area should consider taking only one or two 3000 level finance courses.
In the past, students who are most successful at getting finance-related job offers also have taken at least one course in Accounting (most common is Intermediate Accounting for Finance, ACC 3502).
Students who might be unsure about a path involving finance are encouraged to try out a 3000 level Finance course that sounds interesting from the list above.