The Blank School engages Babson community members and leads research to create entrepreneurial leaders.
Business Analytics for Managers: Leading with Data
Tapping into the Power of Training in Business Analytics
Data is critical to all business, yet meaningless without analytics. To be successful in fast-changing, highly competitive industries requires strategic innovative thinkers who understand how to recognize, interpret, and summarize key data as they plan, execute, and make decisions.
What Will You Learn?
As an online business analytics training that uses examples from your daily work, this course will help you develop an analytics for managers skill set that you can continue to apply every day. These hands-on skills will prepare you to analyze data, present findings, and make meaningful conclusions about data in a business setting. If you have experience working with data, you can refresh your data analysis skills and master how to effectively apply them, adding strategic value to your business.
Session topics for this executive program in business analytics include:
- An overview of the key concepts and techniques for analyzing data in an applied, business context
- Demystifying hypothesis testing
- Using linear equations
- Applied Excel modeling
Sample Action Plan objectives include:
- Evaluate which sales tactics will produce the highest revenue
- Measure the effectiveness of your marketing campaign
- Boost product line profitability
At A Glance
Oct 6 - Nov 3, 2023
Who Should Attend?
Business Analytics for Managers is designed for:
- Mid- to senior-level professionals, including new and experienced leaders, with strategic decision-making responsibilities. Learn to effectively analyze, articulate, and apply key analytics techniques as you make decisions.
- Early career professionals in analytics roles looking for training in business analytics to move into leadership positions in which you need to use data-informed decision making.
This course is not sector specific. It is applicable to financial analysis, sales, marketing, operations, category management (including pricing optimization) and logistics functions across manufacturing, retail, transportation, health care, agriculture, and technology.
What You Need to Know
Registration closes on April 13, 2023 at 12 p.m. Eastern Time
This is a four-week, self-paced, online business analytics training program with a case study session, live introductory and action plan presentation sessions. Participants can expect all sessions to be at 11 a.m - 12 p.m ET:
- An opening session on Friday, Apr 14
- A DEI case study session on Friday, Apr 28
- A closing session on Friday, May 12
Program includes a case study and action plan building session with the instructor, discussion boards to foster collaboration, extensive Excel modeling, weekly review videos, and assessments used as a knowledge check. Course action plans created during the program focus on how to apply learnings to your current job/business and include a final presentation and review.
Interested in Business Analytics for Managers For Your Team?
Prepare your managers and leaders to effectively and efficiently identify, analyze, and apply data to make informed decisions across your organization with training in business analytics. Babson Executive Education custom programs are tailored to your unique needs. Provide your team with a framework for both growing their innovative, entrepreneurial mindset and taking your business to the next level.
Meet the Faculty
Senior Lecturer, Faculty Director - Math Resource Center
Teaching at Babson College since 1984, George Recck is currently the Faculty Director of the Math Resource Center and Senior Lecturer in the Math and Science division. He has taught a variety of Business Analytics courses at all levels and has published in the areas of teaching statistics and using analytics in sports. He recently served as the Chair of the Business Analytics / Statistics Education special interest group for the American Statistical Association.
What Makes Babson Executive Education’s Business Analytics Program Different?
Babson Executive Education works with organizations and professionals around the world to turn ideas and challenges into opportunity. Babson cultivates an entrepreneurial mindset that is the basis for many of the world’s most innovative businesses and leaders.
Our programs are about more than theory; they’re about action, and equipping you with the practical tools and strategies necessary to have an immediate impact on your organization or business.
Our Experts in the News
Slam Dunk: Improved analytics to find undervalued players for your fantasy basketball league
The magnitude and accessibility of data—and the ability to analyze those data—have advanced dramatically. The power of data processing can be seen in diverse fields, including investing, web analytics, and sports metrics. Here, Director of the Math Resource Center at Babson and professor for Business Analytics for Managers George Recck applies data analysis to fantasy league basketball and gets winning results.
Mastering Math for the Modern World
The importance of business analytics and understanding how to effectively use data is key to success in today’s workforce. While Babson is well known for entrepreneurship education, data analysis and mathematics courses that focus on the practical rather than the abstract play a key role in better preparing students for success in work.
Finding the Stories Hidden in Data
“Every data set has its own story.” Combing through multitudes of data, of bushels and bundles and buckets of numbers and information, Babak Zafari, assistant professor of statistics and analytics at Babson College, seeks the stories that are hidden there.
How and when will I have access to the course materials?
Course materials are provided via Canvas, Babson’s online learning portal. Materials will be made available to participants approximately one to seven days prior to the first live online session, depending on the amount of pre-work that participants are expected to complete in advance.
Where can I find the schedule for the days and times of the live online sessions?
The schedule will be sent to registered participants in the registration confirmation email (see the link in your confirmation email to the EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW document).
Do I need to join the virtual sessions live? Will they be recorded?
We highly recommend that participants join the live online sessions. It is an opportunity to ask questions, participate in rich discussion, and learn from the experience of your program peers. However, we do understand that emergencies arise, so sessions will be recorded and made available upon request.
What technology do you use for the live online programs?
- Canvas, Babson’s online learning portal—course calendar, readings, pre-work, faculty bios, presentations and post-session recordings are posted here.
- Video-conferencing Platform—we will use a virtual meeting application (like Webex or Zoom) that allows you to see and communicate with other participants simultaneously and in real time. Your instructor can share documents and interactive media, invite participants to share content, and engage with you in real-time participation. Links to sessions and more information will be provided on Canvas.
What do I need to participate? How do I prepare for the live online sessions?
- We recommend a computer/laptop with a webcam (built in or external camera) for optimal viewing, but you also may join from a tablet or cell phone
- Internet connection or cell hotspot
- Operating system: Windows: 7, 8.1, or 10; Apple: OS 10.9 or higher
- Recommended browsers for optimal experience: Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari 8 and up (Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, and Safari 7 are not recommended.)
- Headset with microphone (recommended but optional)
What happens if I have technical issues?
Additional, detailed instructions will be provided on Canvas. Babson staff will be online and available to assist you, and will identify themselves during each live online delivery. Contact the staff via the chat function for help, or email them if needed. Contact information is available in the EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW document.
How long will I have access to the online materials?
Course materials on Canvas will be available for six months following the completion of the program.
When is payment due and what types of payment do you accept?
Payment is due in full at the time of registration. Babson accepts Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
Do you offer discounts?
Discounts on Babson Executive Education courses are available for the following:
- Alumni of Babson College (undergraduate or graduate)
- Members of our Corporate Partner program
- Parents of current Babson students
- Groups of three or more registering at the same time
- Babson Executive Education’s certificate enrollees*
- Past participants of Babson Executive Education programs
Please email Tammy Gage at email@example.com for more information and for discount codes before registering. In addition, please note that discounts cannot be combined.
*Excludes Founder’s Finance
Do you offer online programs for large groups from the same company?
Yes, we can customize a program to your company’s specific needs from our diverse certificate and courses portfolio. Please contact Tammy Gage (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information.
What will I receive upon completion of the program?
Each program participant receives a certificate of completion. We invite participants to add the program to their LinkedIn profile. Note that a certificate will not be provided if there is insufficient evidence of participation.
Do you have translation for non-English speaking participants?
We do not offer translation in our programs. Although we do not require the TOEFL, all Babson Executive Education programs are taught in English, so it is a prerequisite that you speak, read, and write English proficiently.
Where can I find information for in-person programs?
Explore Babson Executive Education's full suite of in-person programs.
What is your cancellation policy for live online programs?
Registration changes must be requested in writing to Babson Executive Education.
- If requested 30 days or more prior to the program start date
- Cancellations receive a 100% refund
- Substitutions* are allowed, subject to a $250 administration fee
- One-Time Transfers* allowed subject to a $250 administration fee, to be utilized within a one-year period
- If requested eight to 29 days prior to the program start date
- Cancellations receive a 50% refund
- Substitutions* are allowed, subject to a $250 administration fee
- One-Time Transfers* are not allowed
- If requested seven days or fewer prior to the program start date
- Cancellations do not receive a refund
- Substitutions* are not allowed
- One-Time Transfers* are not allowed
*Substitutions and transfers are subject to approval to ensure that participants and programs are suitable.