International Students

Applying Made Easy for International Graduate Students

We’re pleased you’re considering joining our global community of entrepreneurial leaders and are here to make your application journey as smooth as possible. From TOEFL scores to transcripts, feel confident that you’ll have guidance on everything you need throughout your application process. Our team of expert advisors in Admissions and International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) can guide you through each step.

International English Language Test Scores

As an international student, you may need to provide your English language test scores as part of your application to Babson.

If any of the statements below apply to you, you may be eligible for an English language test waiver. If so, you will simply select your waiver reason on your application, and it will be verified by the Graduate Admissions team.

  • Your native language is English
  • Your previous degree was outside the U.S. but only taught in English
  • The official language of your country of citizenship is English
  • You've been working in the U.S. full-time for at least two consecutive years prior to submitting your application

The table below provides clear information on recommended minimum scores and school codes to use when sending your scores to Babson.

Column 1 Recommended Minimum Score Information and Registration Forms
TOEFL (iBT) 100 ETS – Babson’s ETS reporting code: 3075
TOEFL Essentials 11 ETS – Babson’s ETS reporting code: 3075
PTE 65 Pearson – Babson’s Pearson program code: WFS-5T-20
Duolingo English Test 130 Duolingo

Transcript Details

When you apply to Babson, you’ll submit transcripts from your previous programs. If your transcripts aren’t in English, they’ll need to be translated before submission. Note that you need the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree.

If you are admitted and choose to enroll at Babson, official documents that include degree earned and date conferred are required to complete your admissions file prior to starting your graduate program. Carefully review the requirements for each program below.  

Full-Time MBA 
Official transcript(s) are required. If your undergraduate degree was granted outside the U.S., U.K., or Canada, you’ll need to provide an equivalency evaluation of your degree. Babson recommends you do this through World Education Services Inc., Educational Credential Evaluators Inc., or International Education Research Foundation.

Part-Time MBA, Blended Learning MBA-Miami and Certificate in Advanced Management 
Official transcript(s) are required. If your transcripts are not in English, you’ll need to provide an official translation of your transcripts.   

Specialized Master’s (MSBA, MSEL, MSF) 
Official transcript(s) are required. If your transcripts are not in English, official translated copies of transcripts are required. If you recently graduated and your degree has not yet been conferred, we can accept an official provisional degree certificate AND a university issued final transcript to complete your admissions file. 

F-1/J-1 Immigration Status

As a degree-seeking student, once you have received your acceptance to Babson, paid your deposit, and have an active Babson email, you can begin the process to request your immigration documents (issued about four months from the start date of your program). You will use these documents to apply for the appropriate visa.

Most international students studying full time are eligible for F-1 immigration status. The International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) team can help you decide which status is right for you. A variety of resources will assist you as you apply for your student visa and prepare to come to the U.S.

Key Differences Between F-1 & J-1

F-1 is the most common and recommended visa status for international students in the U.S. in full-time degree programs. Students admitted to a program with a full-time courseload are eligible for F-1 status. Funding may come from personal and/or outside sources.

Note: The Blended Learning MBA – Miami meets the requirements of a F-1 visa eligible program.

Students admitted to a program with a full-time courseload are eligible for J-1 status only if they meet one of the following five criteria at any time during their educational program in the United States:

  • You or your program are financed directly or indirectly by the U.S. Government, your home government, or an international organization of which the United States is a member
  • The exchange program is carried out pursuant to an agreement between the U.S. and a foreign government
  • The exchange program is carried out pursuant to a written agreement between:
    • An American and foreign educational institution
    • An American educational institution and a foreign government
    • A U.S. state or local government and a foreign government
  • You are supported substantially (at least 51% of total program expenses) by source(s) other than personal or family funds

Continuing Your U.S. Education

Looking to continue your education in the U.S.? If you’ve been accepted to Babson and are coming directly from another U.S. institution (as a recent graduate or active OPT student), you will need your immigration record transferred to Babson.

Alternatively, if you are a recent Babson graduate or in an active period of OPT following your completion of a Babson degree program and wish to pursue another degree at Babson (for example, a Certificate in Advanced Management student beginning the MBA program, or an undergraduate student pursuing a specialized master’s degree), you may qualify for a change of education level or program.

Either of these situations are intended to preserve an F-1 international student’s immigration record, allowing them to keep using their F-1 visa and/or not have to depart the U.S. between programs. A new Babson Form I-20 is still required and ISSS will advise students further, based on individual situations.

Next Steps for Admitted Students

First of all, a big congratulations is in order! You’re one step closer to attending the no. 1 school for entrepreneurship in the U.S. Welcome to our exciting community of entrepreneurial leaders, thinkers, and change-makers. Please visit the Graduate Admissions Portal for additional resources and information on what to do next.


Whether it’s your Babson application or your immigration status, we are here to answer your questions. We’ve outlined the top questions we receive below to help guide you as you navigate your personal situation.

What type of visa do I need to study at Babson?
Most Babson international students study in F-1 status; to come as a J-1 student, you must meet certain eligibility criteria. You can compare the two visa statuses and see if you may be eligible here.

How long will it take to get my student visa?
Student visas are prioritized over tourist visas however, appointment wait times and processing times will vary by country depending on local U.S. embassy/consulate procedures. It is important to follow the guidance of the specific location where you will be applying for your student visa. Some individuals may qualify for an interview waiver, while others may need to schedule the first available appointment and work to obtain an expedited appointment closer to the start of the program date.

How much funding do I need to present?
International students must document that they have enough funding to cover at least one year of the program (or the entire program if shorter than one year). Additional funding is needed for students bringing family members. Exact information for each program will be provided to students after they deposit and also will be indicated in the Form I-20 request.

What types of funding documents are accepted?
It is very important to review our Evidence of Funding webpage to learn the types and specifications of financial documents. The most common documents we typically receive are bank letters, loan documents, Babson acceptance letters with award information, and bank statement summaries.

How do I get my I-20? How long does it take?
Information will be provided to students upon receiving their first deposit. Form I-20 processing begins about four months prior to the start date of a program. Once your request form has been submitted, and your documents are complete, we do our best to issue your Form I-20 within two weeks. Our incoming international student webpage has complete information about the steps to obtain your Form I-20 along with a variety of resources.

How will I receive my immigration document (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019)?
Students will receive their Form I-20 for F-1 status through their Babson email once it has been processed. You will print it out and use it for the visa process and entry to the U.S. Form DS-2019 for J-1 status must be mailed as the original form via DHL.

I am conditionally admitted. Can I get my I-20 before meeting the condition?
A student must have met all conditions for admission before a Form I-20 can be issued. If you have been admitted conditionally you can submit your Form I-20 request, but will need to satisfy the condition before the Form I-20 can be issued.

I am currently studying at another school in the U.S. What do I need to do to get my I-20?
If you are coming to Babson as a new international student from a U.S. college, university, or language program, you will likely need to transfer your immigration record to Babson in order to receive a new Form I-20 for your Babson program. More information can be reviewed on our Transfer to Babson webpage for international students. You would indicate this within the Form I-20 request and your Babson Form I-20 would be issued once released from your current school.

Can I bring my family members to the U.S. while I’m studying?
Yes, we would love to welcome your family into the Babson community! Their information should be included with your Form I-20 request. Additional funding documentation would be required and indicated within the Form I-20 request. For partners, you do have to be married before a F2/J2 visa can be issued by a U.S. consulate or embassy.

When can I arrive in the U.S.?
F-1 or J-1 international students can enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the Form I-20/Form DS-2019 start date.

What is the difference between a Form I-20, Form DS-2019, visa and I-94?
The Form I-20 is a three-page document issued by a U.S. school to prove that you have been accepted and have met all admission requirements for your program and are eligible for F-1 student immigration status. It also indicates how long you may remain in the United States based on your program of study. It may be reissued over the course of a program for travel or work authorization purposes.

The Form DS-2019 is a two-page document issued by a U.S. school to prove that you have been accepted, have met all admission requirements for your program, and are eligible for J-1 student immigration status. It also indicates how long you may remain in the United States based on your program of study. It may be reissued over the course of a program for travel or work authorization purposes.

An entry visa is placed in your passport at a U.S. embassy or consulate (outside the U.S.). An F-1 entry visa is required to ENTER the U.S. in F-1 student status (unless you are from Canada or Bermuda). The entry visa stamp may expire while you are inside the U.S. You will need a new visa only if you leave the U.S. after it expires and you wish to return.

The I-94 is your official arrival/departure record. It indicates what date you arrived in the U.S. It also indicates how you were admitted into the U.S. (for example, as an F-1 student). It also will include an expiration date, which for F-1/J-1 students/scholars and their dependents should be D/S, meaning Duration of Status. This notation refers to the date you complete your studies or the end date on your Form I-20/Form DS-2019 (whichever is earlier) plus any grace period you may be eligible for.

Can I work in the U.S.?
Yes. All students in F-1 status are eligible for on-campus employment immediately (note: MBA Graduate Assistantships are considered on-campus employment). Any other employment while in the U.S. in F-1 requires authorization:

  • One-Year/Two-Year MBA students are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for internships after completing two semesters and Optional Practical Training (OPT), a 12-month period of work authorization which most students save for after graduation. Two MBA concentrations are STEM designated, where students may be able to obtain 24 additional months of STEM OPT Extension.
  • MSEL students are eligible for post completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), a 12-month period of work authorization.
  • MSF & MSBA students are eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT), a 12-month period of work authorization. Those enrolled for the three-semester option can utilize CPT for internship in the Summer or Fall semesters when registering for an independent research course. Since these programs are STEM designated, students may be able to obtain 24 additional months of STEM OPT Extension.
  • Blended Learning MBA Miami students are eligible after completing two semesters for pre- or post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), a 12-month period of work authorization.
  • CAM students studying for two semesters are eligible for post completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), a 12-month period of work authorization. Additional advising is recommended to review future impact if going on to pursue a Master’s degree program.

J-1 students are eligible for on-campus employment authorization or Academic Training (AT) authorization to use for off-campus employment either during or after a program of study.

Contact Us

Our Graduate Admissions team can help guide your application process and answer any outstanding questions. Reach out to talk through your specific situation, goals, and options for expanding your future here at Babson.

Graduate Admissions will remain your point of contact throughout the application process. This team partners closely with International Student & Scholar Services and are well-versed on the requirements for international applicants. After admitted students have deposited, ISSS works directly with individuals to ensure a smooth transition to Babson and their program.

Key Pages for Your Application Journey as an International Grad Student

Get in Touch

Want to know more about Babson's graduate programs? Let's Talk. 

International students, include your country code

By submitting the form, you agree to receive communications from Babson College and our representatives about our degree programs and certificates via phone, email and/or text message. You can unsubscribe at any time.


Contact Us

Domestic: 781-239-4317

International: 800-488-4512