Academic Division: History & Society
- Ph D, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
- BS, Syracuse University
Academic Interest / ExpertiseFood Traditions; Social Movements; Student Athletes ages 14 to 24
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2022
- HSS 2032 AFRICAN HISTORY AND FOODWAYS
- CVA 2002 AFR AMERICAN HISTORY AND FOODWAYS
- HIS 4640 FOOD AND CIVIL RIGHTS
Degree Courses 2021
- CVA 2090 FOOD AND THE AFRICAN AMER CANON
- AHS 1000 FOUND CRITICAL INQ
- Opie, F.D. (2017). Southern Food and Civil Rights: Feeding the Revolution : Southern Food and Civil Rights: Feeding the Revolution . Page: 192. American Palate . link
- Opie, F.D. (2015). Zora Neale Hurston on Florida Food: Recipes, Remedies, and Simple Pleasures. Page: 144. The History Press . link
- Opie, F.D. (2014). Upsetting the Apple Cart: Black-Latino Coalitions in New York City from Protest to Public Office: Columbia History of Urban Life Series. Page: 312. Columbia University Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2009). Black Labor Migration in Caribbean Guatemala, 1882-1923: Florida Work in the Americas Series. University of Florida Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2021). “Dick Gregory’s Self Care Journey and His Guide Dr. Alvenia M. Fulton,” : Black Food: Stories, Art, and Recipes from Across the African Diaspora. Ten Speed Press. link
- Opie, F.D. (2020). “African American History is American History,” in The Rise: Black Cooks and the Soul of American Food: The Rise: Black Cooks And The Soul of American Food . Voracious: a new imprint at Little, Brown . link
- Opie, F.D. (2016). “Clifford Bourne” : Oxford Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography. Oxford Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography. link
- Opie, F.D. (2014). Influence, Sources, and African Diaspora Foodways : Food in Time and Place: The American Historical Association Companion to Food History. Page: 188-208. University of California Press .
- Opie, F.D. (2012). Alcohol and Lowdown Culture in Caribbean Guatemala and Honduras, 1898-1922: Distilling the Influence of Alcohol: Aguardiente in Guatemalan History. Page: 96-119. The University of Florida Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2020). Online Teaching Survival Guide: A 7-Part Audio Series, Prepare to Succeed in the Digital Classroom: https://hbsp.harvard.edu. Harvard Business Publishing Education. link
- Opie, F.D. (2015). “Zora Neale Hurston on Floridian Food and Culture” . Vol: xxxi, Issue: No 2, Page: 15. Repast, The Quarterly Publication of the Culinary Historians of Ann Arbor. link
- Southern Foodways Alliance (2008 - Present)
- Association for the Study of Food and Society (2005 - Present)
Department & College Wide Services
- Athletic Department Advisory Board (Fall 2015 - Present)