- Ph D, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
- BS, Syracuse University
Food History, US History, Diaspora History
- Opie, F.D. (2009). “Garveyism and Labor Organization on the Caribbean Coast of Guatemala, 1920-1921” . Vol: 94, Issue: no. 2, Page: 153-71.. Journal of African American History.
- Opie, F.D. (2009). “Developing Their Minds Without "Losing Their Soul: Black and Latino Student Coalition Building in New York, 1965-1969”. Vol: 33, Issue: no. 2 , Page: 79-108. . Afro-American In New York Life and History .
- Opie, F.D. (2008). “Black Americans and the State in Turn-of-the-Century Guatemala” . Vol: 64, Issue: no. 4 , Page: 583-609. . The Americas.
- Opie, F.D. (2008). “Eating, Dancing, and Courting in New York: Black and Latino Relations, 1930-1970”. Vol: 42, Issue: no. 1 , Page: 79-109. Journal of Social History.
- Opie, F.D. (2008). “Molasses-Colored Glasses: WPA and Sundry Sources on Molasses and Southern Foodways”. Vol: 14, Issue: 1, Page: 81-96. . Southern Cultures .
- Opie, F.D. (2004). “Foreign Workers, Debt Peonage and Frontier Culture in Lowland Guatemala, 1884 to 1900” . Vol: 12, Issue: 1-2, Page: 40-50. Transforming Anthropology.
- Opie, F.D. (in press). Food Rebels: Why Freedom Requires Rebellion : Food Rebels: Why Freedom Requires Rebellion . University of California Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2017). Southern Food and Civil Rights: Feeding the Revolution : Southern Food and Civil Rights: Feeding the Revolution . Page: 192. American Palate . link
- Opie, F.D. (2015). Zora Neale Hurston on Florida Food: Recipes, Remedies, and Simple Pleasures. Page: 144. The History Press . link
- Opie, F.D. (2014). Upsetting the Apple Cart: Black-Latino Coalitions in New York City from Protest to Public Office: Columbia History of Urban Life Series. Page: 312. Columbia University Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2009). Black Labor Migration in Caribbean Guatemala, 1882-1923: Florida Work in the Americas Series. University of Florida Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2008). Hog and Hominy: Soul Food from Africa to America . Columbia University Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2021). “Dick Gregory’s Self Care Journey and His Guide Dr. Alvenia M. Fulton” : Black Food: Stories, Art, and Recipes from Across the African Diaspora. Ten Speed Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2020). “African American History is American History” : The Rise: Black Cooks and the Soul of American Food. Voracious/Little Brown.
- Opie, F.D. (2014). Influence, Sources, and African Diaspora Foodways : Food in Time and Place: The American Historical Association Companion to Food History. Page: 188-208. University of California Press .
- Opie, F.D. (2012). Alcohol and Lowdown Culture in Caribbean Guatemala and Honduras, 1898-1922: Distilling the Influence of Alcohol: Aguardiente in Guatemalan History. Page: 96-119. The University of Florida Press.
- Opie, F.D. (2010). “Spotlight: Alvenia Fulton” : Gender and Women’s Leadership: A Reference Handbook. Sage Publications .
- Opie, F.D. (2005). “Africans in the Caribbean and Latin America: The Post Emancipation Diaspora,” in Blackwell Companion to African American History : The Blackwell Companion to African American History. Blackwell .
- Southern Foodways Alliance (2008 - Present)
- Association for the Study of Food and Society (2005 - Present)
- Athletic Department Advisory Board (Fall 2015 - Present)