The Student Health Insurance Plan for Babson College students is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield (pdf) and managed by University Health Plans. The Student Health Insurance Plan provides protection against expensive illness and accidents at a cost low enough so as not to constitute an undue burden. Massachusetts state law requires all students who are enrolled in 9 or more credits each semester to show proof that they have health insurance coverage from a U.S. based company while they are attending college or university in Massachusetts.
To begin the health insurance enrollment process, log on to the Babson Portal and find the Student Financial Services tool box. Select View Bill. In the toolbox in the upper right corner, select University Health Plan and follow the prompt to complete the appropriate form. You will need your Babson student identification number to access the University Health Plans insurance decision site.
Students must complete this process to obtain their insurance identification cards. For questions about insurance benefits, claims processing, and ID cards, please go to University Health Plans.
Massachusetts State Requirements
The company must have its headquarters in the United States; an office in the U.S. does not meet this requirement.
In order to waive participation in the Babson sponsored policy your insurance must meet all of the following requirements:
- The policy must have unlimited coverage per accident or injury.
- Emergency room visits that do not result in an admission to the hospital must be covered.
- Mental health must be covered as any other illness or injury. This means that both in-patient and out-patient treatment must be covered.
- Injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of alcohol, illegal drugs or as the result of an attempt to commit suicide must be covered as any other illness or injury.
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases must be covered.
- There must be coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- The maximum yearly deductible can not exceed $250.00 per year.
- Must be portable to the State of Massachusetts.
The State further mandates that any student who cannot show proof of having qualifying health insurance from a U.S. based company must participate in an insurance program provided by their institution.
At Babson College, we offer Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO coverage which is managed by University Health Plans. This plan exceeds the state requirements and provides excellent health insurance coverage against illness and accidents.
Students will be automatically billed the premium for the Babson Health Insurance plan unless they apply for a waiver based on a qualifying health plan that meets Massachusetts State requirements.
International Claim Filing
If not an emergency service, the member should contact Globalcore to find a participating provider. This will help prevent the member from paying up front for inpatient services. For inpatient Services, the member will not have to pay up front, but the provider will require a credit card for services that are performed that would not normally be a covered service or for the out-of-network coinsurance. The member will always be charged at the time of service for outpatient services and will have to submit to for reimbursement. For more information on the Blue Cross Blue Shield Worldwide Program and AIG Travel Assistance Services, check out the University Health Plans Website.
Babson College students who have a U.S. company-based health insurance plan may elect to waive participation in the Babson College plan. If a student elects to waive the Babson insurance the student must certify that the plan meets the Massachusetts State requirements.
To complete the online waiver process, log on to the Babson Portal and find the Student Financial Services tool box. Select View Bill. In the toolbox in the upper right corner, select University Health Plan and follow the prompt to complete the appropriate form. You will need your Babson student identification number to access the University Health Plans insurance decision site.
As part of the waiver process you will be asked to send a copy of your health insurance card both front and back to Babson Health Services. The waiver process must be completed annually.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts COVID-19 Coverage
Effective March 7, 2020, BCBSMA is:
- Covering the full cost of diagnostic tests for COVID-19. Students will have no copay, co-insurance or deductible for these tests.
- Waiving co-pays for medically necessary COVID-19 treatment at doctor’s offices, emergency rooms, and urgent care centers.
- Waiving co-pays, co-insurance and deductibles for telehealth benefits (Well Connection) for the screening, evaluation, diagnosis and/or suggested treatment of COVID-19. Telehealth offers convenience as well as the opportunity to avoid potential exposure to contagion. For additional information about telehealth benefits, please visit the BCBSMA Well Connection website.
- Staffing a dedicated helpline (888-372-1970) for all COVID-19 related inquiries.
Health Insurance for Dependents
Students seeking alternative insurance or insurance for dependents and/or spouses should visit University Health Plans. Click on Babson and follow the links for dependent insurance options.