Massachusetts State Requirements
The company must have its headquarters in the United States; an office in the U.S. does not meet this requirement.
In order to waive participation in the Babson sponsored policy your insurance must meet all of the following requirements:
- The policy must have unlimited coverage per accident or injury.
- Emergency room visits that do not result in an admission to the hospital must be covered.
- Mental health must be covered as any other illness or injury. This means that both in-patient and out-patient treatment must be covered.
- Injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of alcohol, illegal drugs or as the result of an attempt to commit suicide must be covered as any other illness or injury.
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases must be covered.
- There must be coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- The maximum yearly deductible can not exceed $250.00 per year.
- Must be portable to the State of Massachusetts.
The State further mandates that any student who cannot show proof of having qualifying health insurance from a U.S. based company must participate in an insurance program provided by their institution.
At Babson College, we offer Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO coverage which is managed by University Health Plans. This plan exceeds the state requirements and provides excellent health insurance coverage against illness and accidents.
Find out more about theBlue Cross Blue Shield MA Summary of Benefits and Coverage (pdf)
Students will be automatically billed the premium for the Babson Health Insurance plan unless they apply for a waiver based on a qualifying health plan that meets Massachusetts State requirements.