Frequently Asked Questions

When is CAPS open?

Fall & Spring:  Weekdays, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Evening hours by appointment only.

Summer: Weekdays, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.

Closed between noon and 1:00 PM for lunch.

Where is CAPS located?

CAPS is located in Park Manor South Annex on the corner of College Drive and Park Manor Way. Our entrance is on the right side of the building across from the Kerry Murphy Healey Park world globe.

Who is eligible for CAPS services?

Active full-time Babson students are eligible. Students who are enrolled less than full-time are eligible for crisis and referral services. Due to professional licensing requirements, regular clinical services may be provided to students who are located in the state of Massachusetts at the time of service.

Are CAPS services confidential?

Your interactions with CAPS are confidential and not shared with anyone unless you provide written authorization, with some exceptions. Speak with a CAPS staff member to learn more.

Are CAPS services free?

Yes, all services provided by CAPS clinicians are free to eligible students. Counseling services provided by off-campus clinicians will most likely be covered by a student’s health insurance, but may include a co-pay, depending on the insurance policy. For more information about health insurance payments and co-pays, contact your insurance provider.

How do I make an appointment at CAPS?

For the quickest way to help you book an appointment, please call 781-239-6200, option 1. You may also visit us at Park Manor South Annex during our front desk hours.

What if it's an emergency?

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, dial 781-239-6200 and select option 2 for help 24/7/365. Other resources include the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (call 988) and the Crisis Text Line (text HOME to 741741).

During our regular clinic hours, dial 781-239-6200 and select option 1 to request an emergency appointment. You may also visit us at Park Manor South Annex.

For a medical emergency, call Public Safety at 781-239-5555 if you are living on Babson’s campus; if residing elsewhere, contact 911 or your local emergency services.

What is a Same Day Solution Focused Session?

Also known as a "Same Day" for short, this appointment is an opportunity for you to speak with a CAPS clinician briefly about a non-emergency concern, discuss attempted solutions, and explore available solutions and support resources. At the conclusion of the session the clinician may provide recommendations and/or referrals to book a follow-up appointment with CAPS, an off-campus provider, and/or campus resources that we believe may be of help to you.

Due to the in-the-moment style of a Same Day, it may only be requested on the same day of your preferred appointment date. For example, if today is Monday and you would like a Same Day Solution Focused appointment for Wednesday, you'd contact us on Wednesday to book for that day. We typically have a morning and afternoon scheduling option on weekdays for Same Days.

Can my CAPS consultation be virtual?

Consultations are in person unless your circumstances are extenuating and you receive approval from CAPS for an exception.

How long are CAPS appointments?

Consultations and counseling: 45 minutes or less. If more time is needed for an initial consultation, a follow-up appointment will be scheduled.

Emergency: 45 minutes.

Same Day Solution Focused Session: 20 to 30 minutes.

How many sessions can I have with a CAPS clinician?

CAPS provides short-term, episodic individual therapy, but there are no specific limits to the number of sessions we provide, as we tailor services to the individual needs of students. During a student’s initial consultation with a CAPS clinician, the clinician will work with the student to consider how the student’s needs can be best met within our scope of service. If a student is likely to benefit from short-term individual treatment with a CAPS clinician, a treatment plan will be discussed, which will likely include an estimate of how many sessions the treatment will involve.

If the student would benefit from a longer-term treatment or from group treatment, those recommendations will be provided during the initial consultation. If a student would prefer to see a clinician for more sessions than what has been recommended, the clinician will assist the student in finding an off-campus clinician for the student. In all cases, we partner with students in creating and implementing treatment plans.

What if I need medication to treat my mental health concern?

If you would like a medication evaluation or if your clinician believes that medication may be helpful to your treatment, they will refer you to a professional who can do a medication evaluation and write you a prescription if medication is recommended.

If you are already taking medication and need a local provider to write refill prescriptions for you, we can refer you or you can find information about local prescribers on our Off-Campus Resources page.

Where can I get neurological testing, such as for ADHD?

Please contact the following off-campus resources for assessments.

If you're seeking academic accommodations, contact Babson's Department of Accessibility Services directly.

Can I set up an appointment with an off-campus clinician without going through CAPS?

Yes, definitely. We have information about some treatment providers on our Off-Campus Resources page. We are always happy to answer any questions about this process whether you meet with us first or not.

If CAPS refers me to off-campus resources, how do I make an appointment?

When CAPS refers you to an off-campus provider after a consultation, your CAPS clinician will work with you to assist you in setting up your first appointment and will be available to you for any questions you might have regarding the process. If you intend to use your health insurance to pay for these services, your clinician will refer you to resources covered by your health insurance.

Does Babson provide transportation to off-campus clinicians?

Yes, Public Safety will provide transportation to some local treatment providers. You can see which providers Public Safety will take you to and from on their Medical and Safety Escorts page. Also, please refer to Public Safety’s transportation policy for more information.

What if I cannot afford to pay my health insurance co-pay for my off-campus counseling appointments?

If it would be a financial hardship for you and/or your family to cover the cost of the co-pay, please consult with a CAPS clinician regarding options.

If I use my health insurance, will my parent(s) find out I am meeting with a counselor?

If this is a concern for you, please consult with a CAPS clinician. If you have the Babson Health Insurance plan, you are able to get all medical information sent directly to you. If you are on your family’s health insurance, some policies will allow you to keep this information private. More information about the PATCH (Protecting Access to Confidential Health Information) law in Massachusetts can be found on our Additional Resources page under the Privacy section.

Can CAPS help me with an accommodations request?

While CAPS does not provide accommodation letters, we encourage students to coordinate with the Department of Accessibility Services. If students choose to visit CAPS as part of a request they plan to submit to Department of Accessibility Services, then the student may authorize written permission for CAPS staff to verify attendance for the date seen.

Can CAPS help me with an exam excuse request?

While CAPS does not provide letters or exam excuse notes, we encourage students to coordinate with their Student Success Advisor. If students choose to visit CAPS as part of a request they plan to submit to Student Advising & Success or faculty, then the student may authorize written permission for CAPS staff to verify attendance for the date seen.

Access the More in this section