- Associate Professor
- Ph D, Simon Fraser University
- MBA, Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- BA, University of California San Diego
Academic Interest / ExpertiseMarketing Strategy, Art and Marketing, Political Marketing
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2022
- MKT 4515 BRAND MANAGEMENT
- MKT 2000 PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING
- SME 2011 PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING
- MKT 3575 SPORTS MARKETING
- MKT 4505 STRATEGIC MARKETING
Degree Courses 2021
- SME 2011 PRIN OF MARKETING
- SME 2010 SME: MKT AND IT
- Pitt, C., Bal, A., Plangger, K. (2020). 'New approaches to psychographic consumer segmentation: Exploring fine art collectors using artificial intelligence, automated text analysis and correspondence analysis. European Journal of Marketing.
- Weidner, K., Beuk, F., Bal, A. (2019). Fake news and the willingness to share: a schemer schema and confirmatory bias perspective. Journal of Product & Brand Management. link
- Chris, A., Julia, K., Ben, M., Bal, A., Jan, K. (2017). Conditions in Prerelease Movie Trailers For Stimulating Positive Word of Mouth A Conceptual Model Demonstrates the Importance Of Understanding as a Factor for Engagement. Journal of Advertising Research. Vol: 57, Issue: 2, Page: 159-172.
- Weidner, K., Bal, A., Rains, S., Chris, L. (2016). Tattooing and Brand Sponsorship: How Far is Too Far?. Journal of Product & Brand Management. Vol: 25, Issue: 4, Page: 387-393. Emerald.
- Alessandro, B., Emily, T., Bal, A. (2016). How customer and product orientations shape political brands. Journal of Product & Brand Management. Vol: 25, Issue: 4, Page: 365-372. Emerald.
- Bal, A., Weidner, K., Leeds, C., Raaka, B. (2016). Using a Classroom Simulation to Create Communications for At-Risk Individuals. Journal of Marketing Education. Vol: 38, Issue: 2. Sage.
- Bal, A., Weidner, K., Hanna, R.C., Mills, A.J. (2016). Crowdsourcing and Brand Control. Business Horizons.
- Bal, A., Grewal, D., Mills, A.J., Ottley, G.A. (2015). Engaging Students with Social Media. Journal of Marketing Education. Vol: 37, Issue: 3, Page: 190-203.
- Bigi, A., Bonera, M., Bal, A. (2015). Evaluating political party positioning over time: a proposed methodology. Journal of Public Affairs. Wiley.
- Bal, A., Archer-Brown, C., Robson, K., Hall, D.E. (2013). Do good, goes bad, gets ugly: Kony 2012. Journal of Public Affairs. Vol: 13, Issue: 2, Page: 202–208. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.. link
- Halvorson, W., Bal, A., Pitt, L., Parent, <. (2012). e-Marketing Ireland: cashing in on green dots. Marketing Intelligence & Planning. Vol: 30, Issue: 6, Page: 625-633. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. link
- Grant, P.S., Bal, A., Parent, M. (2012). Operatic flash mob: Consumer arousal, connectedness and emotion. Journal of Consumer Behaviour: an international research review. Vol: 11, Issue: 3, Page: 244-251. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.. link
- Payne, N., Campbell, C., Bal, A., Piercy, N. (2011). Placing a Hand in the Fire: Assessing the Impact of a YouTube Experiential Learning Project on Viral Marketing Knowledge Acquisition.. Journal of Marketing Education. Vol: 33, Issue: 2.
- Parent, M., Plangger, K., Bal, A. (2011). The new WTP – Willingness to Participate.. Business Horizons. Vol: 3, Issue: May.
- Bal, A., Pitt, L., Berthon, P., DesAutels, P. (2009). Caricatures, Cartoons, Spoofs and Satires: Political Brands as Butts. Journal of Public Affairs. Vol: 9, Issue: 4, Page: 9. Wiley.
Cases and Teaching Notes
- Parent, M., Bal, A., Robson, K. (2013). SalinaBear: Monetizing a YouTube Profile. Page: 8. Ivy Publishing. link
- Bal, A., Weidner, K. (2019). De Nuestra Familia a La Suya: Amelia Ceja Bringing Wine to the People. Page: 17-24. Emerald Group17-24.
- Bal, A., Weidner, K. (2019). From Approval Junkie to Scrappy Entrepreneur: Faith Salie’s Personal Brand Success Story. Page: 35-42. Emerald.
- Langowitz, N.S., Bal, A. (2015). An Ecosystem Approach to Diversity in Management Education: Evolving Entrepreneurial Education: Innovation in the Babson Classroom. Page: 55-68. Emerald Publishing Group.
- Bal, A., Campbell, C., Pitt, L. (2012). Viewer Reactions to Online Political Spoof Videos and Advertisements. Routledge.
- Bal, A., Campbell, C.L., Pitt, L.F. (2012). Viewer Reactions to Online Political Spoof Videos and Advertisements: Online Consumer Behavior: Theory and Research in Social Media, Advertising and E-tail (Marketing and Consumer Psychology Series). Page: 185-206. Routledge.
- Bal, A., Pitt, L. (2018). Editorial: Special Issue: Marketing of the Arts and Public Affairs: Value from different perspectives. Journal of Public Affairs.
- Bal, A. (2011). Cartoons: when politics are too serious to be left to politicians. Introduction to the special issue, Cartoons and Political Marketing: Challenges in an Age of New Media: Journal of Public Affairs: Cartoons: when politics are too serious to be left to politicians. Introduction to the special issue, Cartoons and Political Marketing: Cartoons: when politics are too serious to be left to politicians. Introduction to the special issue, Cartoons and Political Marketing: Challenges in an Age of New Media. Vol: 11, Issue: 3, Page: 1. Wiley.
Department & College Wide Services
- MLK Legacy Day Committee (Fall 2018 - Summer 2022)
- Honors Council (Fall 2016 - Spring 2020)