- Ph D, Stern School of Business, New York University
- M. Phil, Stern School of Business, New York University
- BS, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Academic Interest / ExpertiseOrganizational behavior, Careers, Meaningful work and work as a calling, Employee sustainability behavior, Interdisciplinary teaching pedagogy
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2023
- MOB 3524 CRAFTING A MEANINGFUL CAREER
- MOB 1010 ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR
Degree Courses 2022
- FME 1001 FOUNDATIONS OF MGMT & ENTREPRENEURS
- Dobrow, S.R., Weisman, H., Heller, D., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2023). Calling and the good life: A meta-analysis and theoretical extension. Administrative Science Quarterly. Vol: 68, Issue: 2, Page: 508-550. link
- Lysova, E.I., Tosti-Kharas, J., Michaelson, C.W., Fletcher, L., Bailey, C., McGhee, P. (2023). Ethics and the future of meaningful work: Introduction to the special issue. Journal of Business Ethics. Vol: Advance online publication. link
- Tosti-Kharas, J., Lamm, E. (2023). What really motivates you? A data-driven exercise and discussion. Management Teaching Review. Vol: 8, Issue: 2, Page: 180-196. link
- Schultz, J.L., Comer, D.R., Holbrook, R., Lewis, V.J., Tosti-Kharas, J., Levinson, J.R., Wayne, K., Michaelson, C.W., Cooper, E.A., Tong, A.S. (2023). Two thumbs up: Teaching human resource management topics using recently-released films. Journal of Human Resources Education. Vol: 17, Issue: 1/2, Page: 1-38. link
- DiRenzo, M.S., Tosti-Kharas, J., Powley, E.H. (2022). Called to serve: Exploring the relationship between career calling, career plateaus, and organizational commitment in the U.S. military. Journal of Career Assessment. Vol: 30, Issue: 1, Page: 60-77.
- Tosti-Kharas, J., Michaelson, C. (2021). To mean is to be perceived: Studying the meaning of work through the eyes of others. Academy of Management Perspectives. Vol: 35, Issue: 3, Page: 503-516.
- Carey, J.C., Beitelspacher, L.S., Tosti-Kharas, J., Swanson, E. (2021). A resource-efficient modular course design for co-teaching integrated sustainability in higher education: Developing the next generation of entrepreneurial leaders. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy. Vol: 4, Issue: 2, Page: 169-193.
- Michaelson, C., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2020). A world changed: What post-9/11 stories tell us about the position of America, purpose of business, and meaning of work. Academy of Management Review. Vol: 45, Issue: 4, Page: 877-895. link
- Wynstra, C.B., Cummings, K.H., Rodgers, V.L., Stillwagon, J.R., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2020). "Teaching 'Beyond the Horizon': Transdisciplinary Approaches". Eugene O'Neill Review, The. Vol: 41, Issue: 1, Page: 69-91. Penn State University Press.
- Michaelson, C., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2019). Serving self or serving others? Close relations’ perspectives on ethics and calling. Journal of Vocational Behavior. Vol: 114, Page: 19-30.
- Tosti-Kharas, J., Lamm, E., Thomas, T.E. (2017). Organization OR Environment? Disentangling Employees’ Rationales Behind Organizational Citizenship Behavior for the Environment. Organization & Environment. Vol: 30, Issue: 3, Page: 187-210. Sage Publications, Inc..
- Tosti-Kharas, J., Conley, C.A. (2016). Coding Psychological Constructs in Text Using Mechanical Turk: A Reliable, Accurate, and Efficient Alternative. Frontiers in Psychology. Vol: 7, Page: 9. Frontiers Research Foundation.
- Lamm, E., Tosti-Kharas, J., King, C.E. (2015). Empowering employee sustainability: Perceived organizational support toward the environment. Journal of Business Ethics. Vol: 128, Issue: 1, Page: 207-220. Springer Netherlands.
- Conley, C.A., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2014). Crowdsourcing content analysis for managerial research. Management Decision. Vol: 52, Issue: 4, Page: 675-688. Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Kleinrichert, D., Tosti-Kharas, J., Albert, M., Eng, J.P. (2013). The Effect of a Business and Society Course on Business Student Attitudes Toward Corporate Social Responsibility. Journal of Education for Business. Vol: 88, Issue: 4, Page: 230-237. Routledge. link
- Lamm, E., Tosti-Kharas, J., Williams, E. (2013). Read this article, but don’t print it: Organizational citizenship behavior toward the environment. Group & Organization Management. Vol: 38, Issue: 2, Page: 163-197.
- Tosti-Kharas, J. (2012). Continued organizational identification following involuntary job loss. Journal of Managerial Psychology. Vol: 27, Issue: 8, Page: 829-847. Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Dobrow, S.R., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2012). Listen to your heart: Calling and receptivity to career advice. Journal of Career Assessment. Vol: 20, Issue: 3, Page: 264-280. Sage Publications, Inc..
- Dobrow, S.R., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2011). Calling: The development of a scale measure. Personnel Psychology. Vol: 64, Issue: 4, Page: 1001-1049.
- Murphy, W.C., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2021). The Handbook of Research Methods in Careers. Edward Elgar.
- Lamm, E., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2020). Organizational Behavior: Developing Skills for Managers. Pearson Education, Inc.. link
Cases and Teaching Notes
- Tosti-Kharas, J., Levinson, J.R. (2020). "Downsizing is about saving yourself:" The paradoxical nature of work and career success in Downsizing. SAGE Business Case Series on the Humanities and Arts in Business.
- Dokko, G., Tosti-Kharas, J., Barbulescu, R. (2020). Bridging micro and macro: An interdisciplinary review of theories used in career studies: The Routledge Companion to Career Studies. Page: 25-41. Routledge.
- Riza, S.D., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2017). Work as a calling: The SAGE Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Issue: 2nd Edition. Sage Publications.
- Murphy, W.C., Chandler, D.E., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2016). Developing Millennial leaders: A careers approach: Generational Differences in Work Values and Work Ethic: An International Perspective. Nova Science Publishers.
- Wrzesniewski, A., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2006). Career as a calling: Encyclopedia of Career Development. Sage Publications.
Articles - Circular or newsletter (e.g., Babson Insight)
- Michaelson, C., Tosti-Kharas, J. (2016). Work worth dying for?: Huffington Post. link
Department & College Wide Services
- Institutional Review Board (Summer 2017 - Summer 2022)
- Faculty Senate (Fall 2016 - Fall 2019)
- Senate Executive Committee (Fall 2018 - Spring 2019)