- Ph D, University of Maryland, Department of Government and Politics
- MA, Columbia University, School of International and Public Affairs
- BA, The Johns Hopkins University
Academic Interest / ExpertiseComparative Politics; International Politics; Postcommunism; Ethnic Conflict
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2022
- HSS 2033 COMPARATIVE POLITICS
- FCI 1000 FOUNDATIONS OF CRITICAL INQUIRY
Degree Courses 2021
- HSS 2080 SOCIO ECO URBAN SYS
- NST 2080 SOCIO ECOLOGICAL URBAN SYSTEMS
- Deets, S.G. (2022). Understanding Weak Local Governance in the Neoliberal City through the Case of Skopje 2014. Communist and Post-Communist Studies. Vol: 55, Issue: 3, Page: 1-23. link
- Deets, S.G., Rodgers, V.L., Erzurumlu, S.S., Nersessian, D. (2020). Systems Thinking as a Tool for Teaching Undergraduate Business Students Humanistic Management. Humanistic Management Journal. link
- Deets, S.G., Skulte-Ouaiss, J. (2020). Breaking Into A Consociational System: Civic Parties in Lebanon’s 2018 Parliamentary Election. Ethnopolitics. Taylor & Francis. link
- Deets, S.G., McClelland, B. (2018). Europeanization in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Recent Lessons from the Dairy Sector. Problems of Postcommunism. link
- Deets, S.G. (2018). Consociationalism, Clientelism, and Local Politics in Beirut: Between Civic and Sectarian Identities. Nationalism and Ethnic Politics. Vol: 24, Issue: 2, Page: 133-157. link
- Deets, S.G., Greenberg, D., Erzurumlu, S.S., Hunt, J.M., Manwaring, M.M., Rodgers, V.L., Swanson, E. (2017). Signing to Living PRME: Learning from a Journey Towards Responsible Management Education. The International Journal of Management Education. Vol: 15, Issue: 2, Page: 205-218.
- Deets, S.G. (2017). Israel, Palestine and Nonterritorial Governance: A Reconfigured Status Quo. Middle East Policy. Vol: XXIV, Issue: 1, Page: 108-128. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc.. link
- Deets, S.G., Skulte-Ouaiss, J. (2016). Jumping out of the “Hobbesian Fishbowl” and Into the Fire: Lebanon, Elections, and Chronic Crisis. Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization. Vol: 24, Issue: 4, Page: 523-540. George Washington University, Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies. link
- Deets, S.G. (2015). Networks and Communal Autonomy as Practice: Health, Education, and Social Welfare in Lebanon. Ethnopolitics. Vol: 14, Issue: 4, Page: 329-353. Routledge. link
- Deets, S.G. (2010). Review Essay: Sovereignty, Networks and Norms . Nationalities Papers. Vol: 38, Issue: 4, Page: 561-567.
- Deets, S.G., Vetterlein , A., Stroschein , S. (2009). Everyday Post-Socialism . Introductory Essay for a Special Forum in Journal of International Relations and Development. Vol: 12, Issue: 4, Page: 349-354.
- Deets, S.G. (2009). Wizarding the Classroom: Teaching Harry Potter and Politics. PS: Political Science and Politics.
- Deets, S.G. (2009). Constituting Interests and Identities in a Two-Level Game: Understanding the Gabcikovo-Nagymaros Conflict. Foreign Policy Analysis. Vol: 5, Issue: 1, Page: 37-56. link
- Deets, S.G., Koubak, K. (2008). The Czech Greens Revived. Environmental Politics. Vol: 17, Issue: 5, Page: 815-821.
- Deets, S.G. (2008). The Hungarian Status Law and the Specter of Neomedievalism in Europe. Ethnopolitics. Vol: 7, Issue: 2-3, Page: 195-214.
- Deets, S.G., Dawisha, K. (2006). Political Learning in Post-communist Elections. East European Politics and Societies. Vol: 20, Issue: 4, Page: 691-728.
- Deets, S.G. (2006). Public Policy in the Passive-Aggressive State: Health Care Reform in Bosnia-Herzegovina 1996-2001. Europe-Asia Studies. Vol: 58, Issue: 1, Page: 57-80.
- Deets, S.G. (2006). Re-imagining the Boundaries of the Nation: Politics and the Development of Ideas on Minority Rights. East European Politics and Societies. Vol: 20, Issue: 3, Page: 419-446.
- Deets, S.G. (2005). Constitutionalism and Identity in Eastern Europe. Nationalities Papers. Vol: 33, Issue: 4, Page: 489-516.
- Deets, S.G., Stroschein, S. (2005). Dilemmas of Autonomy and Liberal Pluralism: Examples Involving Hungarians in Central Europe. Nations and Nationalism. Vol: 11, Issue: 2, Page: 285-305.
- Deets, S.G. (2002). Liberal Pluralism: Does the West Have Any to Export?. Journal of Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe. Issue: 4.
- Deets, S.G., Stroschein, S. (2002). Minorities, Kin States, and the 2001 Hungarian Status Law. Analysis of Current Events. Vol: 14, Issue: 1, Page: 14-18.
- Deets, S.G. (2002). Reconsidering East European Minority Policies: Liberal Theory and European Norms. East European Politics and Society. Vol: 16, Issue: 1, Page: 30-53.
- Deets, S.G., Noble, R., Breymeyer, A. (1996). Biodiversity Conservation in Transboundary Protected Areas . National Academy Press.
- Deets, S.G. (1993). Romania's Energy Sector: National Academy Press.
- Deets, S.G. (1993). The Economics of Sustainable Agriculture: American and Bulgarian Perspectives : National Academy Press.
- Deets, S.G., DiCarlo , L. (2011). What is the Context? Fostering Entrepreneurial Leaders' Social Awareness: The New Entrepreneurial Leader: Developing Leaders Who Shape Social and Economic Opportunity. Page: 184-201. Berett-Koehler Publishers, Inc..
- Deets, S.G. (2021). Review: Joseph Marko and Sergiu Constantin, eds. Human and minority rights protection by multiple diversity governance: History, law, ideology and politics in European perspective. Routledge, 2019.. Vol: 27, Issue: 4, Page: 517-519. Nationalism and Ethnic Politics. link
- Deets, S.G. (2011). Book Review: Global Trends in Eastern Europe by Nikolai Genov . Vol: 38, Issue: 5 . Nationalities Papers.
- Deets, S.G. (2006). Ethnic Politics in Europe: The Power of Norms and Incentives by Judith Kelley: Nations and Nationalism. Vol: 12, Issue: 1, Page: 166-168.
- Deets, S.G. (2001). From Voting to Violence by Jack Snyder: Nationalities Papers. Page: 252-255.
- Deets, S.G. (2001). When History Is a Nightmare: Lives and Memories of Ethnic Cleansing in Bosnia-Herzegovina by Steven Weine: Traumatic StressPoints. Vol: 15, Issue: 1.
- Deets, S.G. (2006). Pulling Back from Neo-Medievalism: International and Domestic Politics of the Hungarian Status Law: The Hungarian Status Law: Nation Building and/or a Minority Protection. Slavic Research Center.
- Deets, S.G. (2001). Nationalism and Constitutionalism in Eastern Europe: Minorities and Tolerance in Central and Eastern Europe and the NIS: Conference Proceedings. Page: 9-21.
- Deets, S.G. (1996). National Discourse and the Formation of Irreconcilable Symbols: The Case of the Gabcikovo-Nagymaros Dam. Page: 115-132. Institute on East Central Europe, Columbia University.
- Deets, S.G. (2015). Baltimore is Not Ferguson. Monkey Cage Blog, Washington Post. link
- Deets, S.G., Jenne, E. (2010). Political Context Matters: The Banality of Hungary's Dual Citizenship Law and Slovakia's Response : Dual Citizenship for Transborder Minorities? How to Respond to the Hungarian-Slovak Tit-for-Tat. EUDO Citizenship Forum. link
- Deets, S.G. (2005). Reflecting on the Balkans: Pentecost. Theater Department of Miami University of Ohio.
- Deets, S.G., Baker, J., Bosch, D., Bukaveckas, P., Hatfield, K., Zale, A. (1995). Agricultural Impacts on Water Quality in Lithuania and Latvia: Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences. Page: 128-136.