The Cutler Center promotes thought leadership by hosting or sponsoring a wide variety of conferences and events throughout the year. These events allow Babson faculty, students, and alumni to learn, network, and innovate in a collaborative setting.
Babson Finance Conference
The Babson Finance Conference brings together leading figures in finance to share their experiences, provide perspective, and identify the areas of greatest opportunity and risk. These speaker, who present cutting-edge research, market outlooks, and insights from their real-world experience, have included:
- Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts and CEO of Bain Capital
- Lloyd Blankfein, CEO of Goldman Sachs
- Karl Case of the Case-Shiller Real Estate Index
- Seth Klarman, Founder and CEO of Baupost Group
- Robert Shanks, CFO of Ford Motor Company
- Michael Angelakis ’86, Vice Chairman and CFO, Comcast
The Cutler Center supports the Finance Division which offers intellectually rigorous programs of study in finance taught by full-time professors and practitioners who bring real world practical experience to Babson’s students. Babson faculty are encouraged and supported in a variety of thought leadership and research activities to:
- Sustain, enhance, and renew the intellectual vitality of faculty by supporting the building of intellectual capital through meritorious research.
- Increase the public visibility and academic reputation of the College and its faculty, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- View a complete list of faculty research.
The Cutler Center also sponsors the Seminar Speaker Series, which allows faculty to build relationships in the academic community and exchange ideas withother top researchers. Recent speakers have included:
- Andrew Lo, Charles E. and Susan T. Harris Professor, Director of the Laboratory for Financial Engineering at the MIT Sloan School of Management
- Gordon Phillips, C.V. Starr Foundation Professor at Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College
- Kent Smetters, Professor, Business Economics and Public Policy, Wharton School
Student Seminar Series:
Learning to be a Value Investor with Gary Mishuris, CFA
In this 11-week long seminar series for undergrad and graduate students, Gary Mishuris, CFA will use a number of readings like Ben Graham’s Security Analysis and Warren Buffett’s partnership letters to discuss the investing philosophies and processes of successful value investors. With Gary’s help, you’ll be able to use the insights from the readings to build your own value investing framework that is internally consistent and suited to your strengths. Space is limited.