- Ph D, New York University
- MBA, Saint Louis University
- BA, Saint Louis University
Academic Interest / ExpertiseBreakthrough Innovation, Corporate Entrepreneurship, Organizational Design for Innovation, New Market Creation.
Awards & Honors
Degree Courses 2021
- EPS 6601 CORPORATE ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- EPS 6602 INNOVATION ROLES
- EPS 6601 CORPORATE EPS
- EPS 9508 DESIGN INNOV ROLES
- Zhao, H., O'Connor, G.C., Wu, J., Lumpkin, G. (2021). Age and Entrepreneurial Career Success: A Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Business Venturing. Vol: 36, Issue: 1. link
- Bagno, R.B., Salerno, M.S., de Sourza Jr., W.C., O'Connor, G. (2020). Corporate Engagement with Startups: Antecedents, Models, and Open Questions for Innovation Management. Vol: 18, Issue: 1, Page: 39-52. Product Management & Development. link
- Shaikh, I.A., O'Connor, G. (2020). Understanding the Motivations of Technology Managers in radical innovation decisions in the mature R&D firm context: An Agency Theory Perspective.. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management. Vol: 55. link
- O'Connor, G. (2019). Real Innovation Requires More than an R&D Budget. Harvard Business Review. link
- Perri, S.T., Farrington, T., Johnson, S., O'Connor, G.C. (2019). Today's Innovation Leaders. Research Technology Management. Page: 21-29.
- Choi, B., Ravichandran, T.R., OConnor, G. (2018). Organizational Conservatism, Strategic Human Resource Management and Breakthrough Innovation. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. Vol: 99, Page: 1-28.
- Markovitch, D.G., , .C., Harper, P.J. (2017). Beyond invention: the additive impact of incubation capabilities to firm value. R & D Management. Vol: 47, Issue: 3, Page: 352--367.
- O'Connor, G.C., Euchner, J. (2017). The People Side of Breakthrough Innovation: an Interview with Gina O’Connor. Research Technology Management. Vol: 60, Issue: 4, Page: 12-18.
- Markovitch, D.G., Harper, P., O'Connor, G.C. (2017). Beyond Invention: The Additive Impact of Incubation Capabilities to Firm Value. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. Vol: 47, Issue: 3, Page: 352-367.
- Badir, Y., O'Connor, G.C. (2015). The Formation of Tie-strength in a Strategic Alliance’s First New Product Development Project: The Influence of Project and Partners’ Characteristics. Journal of Product Innovation Management. Vol: 32, Issue: 1, Page: 154-169.
- O'Connor, G.C., Corbett, A.C., Peters, L.S. (2018). Beyond the Champion: Institutionalizing Innovation through People. Page: 344 pages. Stanford University Press.
- Narayanan, V., O'Connor, G. (2014). Encyclopedia of Technology and Innovation Management. Issue: 2. Blackwell-Wiley.
- Baregheh, A., Carey, T., O'Connor, G. (2022). Beyond the Champion – Governance and Management of Strategic Innovation in Higher Education Teaching and Learning: Governance and Management in Higher Education. Vol: 43, Page: 173-201. Emerald Publishing Group.
- O'Connor, G. (2022). Strategic Innovation as a Management System: The Innovator’s Handbook: The Best and Latest in Corporate Innovation. Innov8rs.
- O'Connor, G. (2021). Domains of Innovation Intent: Pointers: Creating Support Up & Down the Org Chart. Innovation Leader.
- O'Connor, G., Pierantozzi, R. (2021). A Portfolio Strategy for Going Beyond Incremental Innovation: Pointers: Adjusting Your Innovation Portfolio for Success. InnovationLeader.
- O'Connor, G. (2020). Why Aren’t Companies Getting Better at Strategic Innovation?: Pointers. Innovation Leader.
- O'Connor, G. (2019). What’s essential to launching an innovation program – and what you can build as you go: Pointers: Getting an Innovation Program Started-Advice for the First Year. Innovation Leader. link
- Peters, L.S., O'Connor, G.C., Shaikh, I.A. (2018). An Examination Of Organizational Systems Used to Sustain Breakthrough Innovation: Aspects of Entrepreneurship: Practice and Passion. Page: 89-129. Cambridge Scholars Publishing .
- O'Connor, G.C. (2018). Institutionalizing an Innovation Function: Moving beyond the Champion: Handbook of New Product Development Research. Edward Elgar .
- , .C. (2016). Institutionalizing corporate entrepreneurship as the firm’s innovation function: reflections from a longitudinal research program: Handbook of Research on Corporate Entrepreneurship . Page: 145-174. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- O'Connor, G.C., Narayanan, V. (2015). Knowledge Management as Intelligence Amplification for Breakthrough Innovations: Design Thinking: New Product Development Essentials from the PDMA . Page: 187-203. John Wiley and Sons.
- Narayanan, V., , .C. (2015). What are Emerging Technologies?: Encyclopedia of Technology and Innovation Management. Page: 1--4. John Wiley \& Sons, Ltd Chichester, UK.
- Josue, R., O'Connor, G. (2020). The Effect of Previous Experience On The Opportunity Elaboration Process: A Cognitive Perspective. Academy of Management.
- O'Connor, G., Ravichandran, T., Choi, B., Ma, J. (2017). Organizing for breakthrough innovation: leadership, structures, and processes: Academy of Management Proceedings. Vol: 2014, Issue: 1, Page: 12870. link
- Shaikh, I., Peters, L.S., O'Connor, G.C. (2017). The Governance of Radical Technological Innovation: Proceedings of the Strategic Management Society.
- , .C., Shaikh, I.A. (2017). Motivating Radical Innovation: An Agency Theory Exploration: Academy of Management Proceedings. Vol: 1, Page: 1. Academy of Management. link
- Ma, J., Choi, B., O'Connor, G. (2016). Marketing's role in capturing value from innovation: Knowledge resources, strategic emphasis, and firm value: Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), 2016 Portland International Conference on. Page: 1271--1277.
Articles - Circular or newsletter (e.g., Babson Insight)
- Meyer, C., O'Connor, G. (2021). Here’s What AI Will Never Be Able to Do: Entrepreneur Magazine online. link
- O'Connor, G. (2021). Invest in Innovation now to be competitive in the post-COVID-19 World” Fast Company: Fast Company. link
- O'Connor, G.C. (2018). Beyond the Champion: Building Strategic Innovation Capability: Center for Innovation Management Studies Innovation Management Report. Page: 7-9. Center for Innovation Management Studies, North Carolina State University.
- OConnor, G.C. (2015). It’s Time to Professionalize Innovation: Center for Innovation Management Studies Innovation Management Report. Page: 1-2. Center for Innovation Management Studies, North Carolina State University.
Book Reviews - practitioner journals
- O'Connor, G.C. (2020). Review of "The Innovation Navigator: Transforming your Organization in the Era of Digital Design and Collaborative Culture" by Tucker J. Marion and Sebastian K. Fixson. Vol: 63, Issue: 2, Page: 60-61. Research-Technology Management Journal.
- O'Connor, G. (2020). Tucker and Fixson's The Innovation Navigator: Transforming your Organization in the Era of Digital Design and Collaborative Culture : a Book Review: Research Technology Management.
- Editor, Associate Editor Journal of Product Innovation Management (2019 - Present)
- Committee Member Product Development and Management Association (2002 - Present)
- Editor, Associate Editor Journal of Product Innovation Management (2019 - 2021)
Department & College Wide Services
- Initiated Babson partnership with Corporate Entrepreneurs' Network (2020 - Present)
- Babson/IRI Research Collaboration (Spring 2018 - Present)