Finance MBA Concentration
Master financial tools and analysis, and nurture the connections you’ll need to build your network in the financial services industry with an MBA finance concentration. Suggested tracks in investments or corporate finance further help prepare students for rewarding finance careers.
Where Will an MBA Degree in Finance Take You?
Concentrating in finance gives your MBA a focus, particularly for students looking ahead to careers in investments or corporate finance. MBA finance program graduates often go on to careers in securities analysis, portfolio management, sales and trading, wealth management, private equity, venture capital, strategic planning, financial analysis, treasury management, and investor relations.
Throughout the concentration, you will learn how securities issued by companies are valued, traded, and combined into portfolios to achieve investment objects. You will also better understand how to create shareholder value by making effective investment and financing decisions within firms both large and small.
Babson's Academic Centers and Institutes
Babson's academic centers and institutes provide students with experiences, mentors, events, resources, and more. Through the Centers, students put the concepts they learn in class into practice in the real world. Finance concentrators are encouraged to get involved with the Stephen D. Cutler Center for Investments and Finance.
Get to Know Babson’s MBA Finance Concentration Faculty
The finance concentration faculty teach in all parts of the finance MBA program. When they’re not in the classroom, they conduct groundbreaking research, consult for companies, and publish in leading media outlets and academic journals.
I've enjoyed my Finance courses the most. Investment Banking with Spencer Adams and Raising Capital with Michael Bayer are two that stand out. I felt both immediately gave me actionable lessons that I could use in the workplace.
Finance MBA Concentration Curriculum
The finance concentration is a twelve credit commitment. Students may choose from a wide range of courses offered by the finance division. Please note that class offerings change and all courses may not be listed here. Additionally, FIN7566 - Real Estate Transactions and FIN9510 - Residential Real Estate do not count toward the finance concentration. Any exception to concentration requirements must be approved by the division chair.
Select a total of 12 credits from the following courses:
- FIN7502 Capital Markets (3 credits)
- FIN7503 Equities (3 credits)
- FIN7504 Risk Management (3 credits)
- FIN7508 Financial Services and Institutions (3 credits)
- FIN7509 International Finance (1.5 credits)
- FIN7511 Corporate Finance : Raising Capital (3 credits)
- FIN7513 Fixed Income (3 credits)
- FIN7516 Corporate Finance : Evaluating Opportunities (3 credits)
- FIN7517 Financing and Valuing Sustainability (3 credits)
- FIN7518 Managing Portfolios (3 credits)
- FIN7519 Personal Financial Management (3 credits)
- FIN7523 Energy Markets Business Models and Opportunities (1.5 credits)
- FIN7525 Finance for New Ventures (3 credits)
- FIN7526 Corporate Governance and Financial Compliance (1.5 credits)
- FIN7527 Real Estate Financial Modeling (3 credits)
- FIN7545 Financial Trading Strategies (3 credits)
- FIN7550 Derivatives: Theory and Practice (3 credits)
- FIN7565 Real Estate Investments (3 credits)
- FIN7570 Real Estate Finance (1.5 credits)
- FIN7572 Babson College Fund (6 credits, students must apply)
- FIN7573 Investment Banking and Financial Modeling (3 credits)
- FIN7578 Real Estate Development (1.5 credits)
These courses will not count toward the concentration, but will provide valuable perspective and/or complementary skills. Some great choices include:
- ACC7500 Financial Reporting and Statement Analysis
- ACC7540 Measuring and Managing Strategic Results
- ECN7520 Economic and Financial Forecasting
- QTM7575 Financial Modeling
For more information on the finance concentration coursework, requirements, or for other questions, please contact Associate Professor Jerome Taillard.
Looking for a more specialized finance degree?
Learn more about our Master of Finance, a 9 month, STEM-designated degree designed to help resourceful finance professionals make critical business decisions. Gain functional, deeply quantitative knowledge so that you can delve into finance at a deep level.